Poor guy at petsmart

anm1221

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Went to go file my taxes today and on the way there I stopped by my local petsmart to look around and peruse. Of course I checked out the torts and I came across this fella. He didn't move much, he was in his burrow so I assume he was sleeping? The tag didn't say anything besides "Assorted tortoise" poor guy is in a cramped space. The pictures show about how big his enclosure is. It isn't big at all. His whittle leg was sticking out from the burrow. I felt bad for him.ImageUploadedByTortForum1391796984.223124.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1391796997.510013.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1391797033.510824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
While that certainly isn't an ideal way to set one up, its only temporary. Hopefully someone will buy him soon, join this forum and give him a great home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was going to say its a Russian, because most of them are, but I'm thinking it might be a greek from what little I can see of the shell.

He's not in too bad of shape. Hopefully he'll find a new forever home soon.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I went to a petco wednesday and they had their Russians in a huge tank with three different levels of temp and humidity gauges. They had three different food dishes with a large variety of greens, a great basking area and a decent UVB bulb (not a coil bulb!) While talking to the girl she let me know that she used to have a box turtle growing up at her aunts house that was there for some 20 - 30 years and then their new puppy ate it last year. She takes extra care of the reptiles because she loved that little box turtle so much. Went to another one this morning and while the tank was not as big, they had the same amenities. Both places made sure to tell me that the way they are set up was a corporate mandate and both stores told me if I bought one that I should not keep it like they have it in the store. made me feel better about Petco. Petsmart is hit or miss. My home store is awesome. They soak the reptiles three or four times a week. Others I have gone to seem like they couldn't care less about the animals.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yea it's really a hit or miss ad that's what I hate.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I used to live in Maryland. I worked out in Edgewood at the Gap warehouse. I loved it there. On topic, be carefull if you choose to get an adult animal from petsmart or petco. I ask them a ton of questions I already know the answers to. That way I know if they are doing what they need to for the animal, some actually do have staff that cares, or just collecting their paychecks and throwing some tortoise food at them every now and then. If I were you I would even write them down so you don't forget something important. Someone who cares will not try and sell you any of the crud they use in the store and will tell you what to get and where to get it.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Look at this one I just saw!!! My mom wouldn't let me buy him...:( ImageUploadedByTortForum1391877801.379342.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can see he has a hide and a water dish, so that's all that bad. His bedding is not my choice, but. Always always keep in mind this is a store, these animals are not expected to be living in these small enclosures for long.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What Petco and petsmart had set-up for the tortoise in their store are very misleading for some new tortoise owner that the set-up of the enclosure in those store are OK for the tortoise they newly inquired.

I'm very appreciated that we have this forum to identify the true needs for all tortoises.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Jacqui said:
I can see he has a hide and a water dish, so that's all that bad. His bedding is not my choice, but. Always always keep in mind this is a store, these animals are not expected to be living in these small enclosures for long.

I agree. I would have bought him. But I have my eye on some severely pyramiding sulcatas on craigslist.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1391881406.396278.jpg
Look at these poor things.