Plz help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
First of all, I'm pretty annoyed. I have spent over $300 on lightbulbs (basking, and UV.) this year. Come to think of it, none of them has lasted more than a month and a half.
1. I need a reliable brand of bulb that isn't over $30
2. I need a place to buy them cheap. I have already tried reptile supply.com but didn't have what i was looking for.

Every two months or so, a bulb(s) go out and end up dishing out $30 bucks for something that burns out soon after purchase. I can't afford all this!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Most bulbs have a warranty of at least a month. You might want to get in touch with the manufacturer and see what they can do for you.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
PowersSax911, what type of uvb and basking bulbs are you using? What type of holders for the bulbs? This will help us direct you to a better bulb that will hopefully last but as Danny said most bulbs are warrented and the petshops even online will refund or replace. Have you contacted them about the quick burnouts? I realize this is anoying. The better bulbs do cost a bit but I have found some Reptisun bulbs on sale recently so let me know what type you are currently using.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is just ONE of the expenses involved in tortoise-keeping. I'm saying this for everyone who might be interested in getting a tortoise, and not directing my comment to you personally, PowersSax911: If you can't afford vet bills, money to buy the correct equipment and food, then you have no business getting a tortoise. This is NOT a cheap pet to keep.

On the subject of lighting...Most UVB lights lose their power to provide the correct amount of UVB in about 6 months. So even though the light still turns on and shines light, it has worn out its parts that provide the UVB rays. So you have to take it into consideration, that you will have to replace the bulb in about 6 months. These bulbs are quite expensive, but if you plan to keep the tortoise in the house, quite necessary for his health and well-being.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

Please don't think this is criticism but, generally speaking you are buying a cheap bulb and they just aren't going to last. I pay a little more for Trex bulbs and they last a year or more. Bob is under a 250 watt Trex bulb that is close to 3 years old. The UVB rays are probably gone, but he spends his days outside so I just care that the heat part stays hot and it does. The bulb is on for 12 hours daily and has been for 3 years.
I keep my smaller tortoises under Trex 100 watt bulbs and Reptisun and they last a long time. So, I believe you get what you pay for, pay more and they last longer...and I get most of my stuff from llreptile. They treat me right. Just recently I bought 2 lights that arrived broken, I called and they told me to throw them away and replacement bulbs arrived 3 days later. You can't beat them for customer service...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) will keep giving off UVB for over 2 years. They last much longer (or should) than the fluorescent tubes. :D

Danny

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
First of all, to clear things up, I can afford all the stuff Yvonne said above with no problem. It's just the inconvienience of have to spend an hour driving to petsmart to buy a bulb, then returning it within the week. I realize now that i've had these bad experiences with the same type of bulbs causing me to be afraid of spending MORE money on a bulb i think will burn out just as quickly. I have a few questions though... I've heard some stories that the MVB's are dangerous because they explode from overheating??? Is this true? I could see how having mercury above a terrarium could be dangerous. Also the flourescent bulbs, from a petsmart employee, "Don't put out enough UV's". Now I know this isn't true, but what are the benefits of the big long tube? For Crazy1- I use the Fluker's Porecelain Lamps. 1 75 watt for the 26 watt UV bulb Exo-Terra Repti Glo 5.0 Tropical. I also have a 150 watt of the Fluker's fixture for my 100 watt exo terra tight beam basking bulb... Through experience i learned that the 13 watt UV bulb lasts long than the 26 watt

OMG! llreptile has everything! I just looked on their site...The best prices. I love the water tubs for aquatic turtles. Thanks for the reference!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
If you are using the coiled bulbs, ditch them.

No, the mercury vapor bulbs do not explode. They shut off of they overheat. That's it.

You need either a tube UVB, or a MVB. The coiled bulbs are known to cause eye issues in tortoises.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
I just looked at MVB's. Their pretty convincing. Less clutter, long life, higher heat and high uv's. If there worth it, im set on getting one for my RES.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
They are worth it. I use them for everyone of my animals that require UVB.

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
I have a question about the T-rex MVB'S. It says they put out a lot of heat. My RES dock is about 1 1/2 feet from the bulb. Would this be too much heat for him? He's about 5 inches, shell length if that helps in anyway. Also llreptile said that it is for tortoises. My baby greek is about 10 months. I know the bulb would be to much for him now, but when should i invest in getting him one of these bulbs, cuz i know greeks like the enclosures hot, and the uv wouldn't hurt.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I have a Trex 100W on my two month old greek with no problems. I am not sure about the turtle though--I think it should be fine.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I really can't explain enough how satisfied with I am with my vitalite. Its full spectrum florescent, and comes with its fixture (or the option I chose does). I actually got the bulb after asking my vet what bulbs she would recommend and she told me about a new independent study she had just read and how the company Durabulb and their vitalite were the most reliable and effective UV bulbs out there. Strangely most places sell them as therapeutic bulbs for humans or for use with birds, not as reptile bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.