Please help with gender

Status
Not open for further replies.

asharbor

5 Year Member
HI-
My nephew has had this sulcata for about 5 years now. We think she was about 5 when we got her, making her about 10 years old. We are not sure how to tell if she is a boy or a girl (we call it a girl, but we really don't know for sure :) ) If anyone can tell us what they think - it would be great to know! Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    754.1 KB · Views: 89

Texastort

10 Year Member!
asharbor said:
HI-
My nephew has had this sulcata for about 5 years now. We think she was about 5 when we got her, making her about 10 years old. We are not sure how to tell if she is a boy or a girl (we call it a girl, but we really don't know for sure :) ) If anyone can tell us what they think - it would be great to know! Thanks!!!

kinda looks female to me

jason g.

5 Year Member
A girls shell is flat and a boys is concave so when they mate he doesn't fall off. Lol that's what I read.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. It's a female. She's pretty small for 10 years old and still immature. I would guess she was not yet 5 when your nephew got her, but I could be wrong.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Very small for 10... has she grown much since you have had her? She is even kinda small for 5...
more pics? and care background?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi asharbor:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you...and may we know appx where in the world you are?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! Definitely a girl. I also agree with above she's even small if she were 5. Does she get enough outside time and sunlight?

asharbor

5 Year Member
She may have not been 5 when we got her, but I do know that she was not properly cared for at her first home. She didn't get any time outside and did not have a heat lamp or any time outside. She has grown considerably since we have had her. We live in New York so she can only be outside part of the year, but she goes out any day that it is warm enough. Her diet greens, dandelions , hibiscus etc. she has a heat lamp and UV light for her when she is inside. Thanks for everyone's advice. It is nice to know she is a girl for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.