Please help me feel confident....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsindenver

5 Year Member
Approx. 24 hours ago, I brought home a healthy active redfoot. She was active and perky at the store. She is reported to be around three years old.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I just need some assurance and guidance.

On the way home, she pooped 4 times....stress, I'm sure. I'm keeping the temp in the basking area near 90, log with underpad heater, 80 or so.

Moisture via spray bottle, good humidity.

But she has barely moved, maybe ate a bit, not sure.

When do I or should I even get concerned. Can it take several days for the to acclamate?

SORRY, just concerned and appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I don't mean to worry you, but it take can several days into weeks to acclimate, though days are the norm.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I think she just needs to setttle in, it took Boulder a few days to become active after I brought him home. Don't be too concerned

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi bobsindenver:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name "Bob?" and are you in Denver, Colorado?

Just go over your husbandry with a fine-toothed comb and be sure everything is like it is supposed to be. Then give him some time to settle in. It helps if there are lots of hiding places.

bobsindenver

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi bobsindenver:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name "Bob?" and are you in Denver, Colorado?

Just go over your husbandry with a fine-toothed comb and be sure everything is like it is supposed to be. Then give him some time to settle in. It helps if there are lots of hiding places.

Yes, I'm Bob in Denver!

Thank you everyone. How do I make sure she is getting food, etc.? Or is a few days without the norm?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
A few days without eating, she will be fine. just let her be. watch her, but dont hover too much. dont pick up and constanly move her or re arrange her 'home'. make sure sure is warm enough.. get her a good warm soaking, then let her be.
Make sure she has food avail to her. good hiding places so she feesl safe... and everything should be ok..

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Welcome Bob!

I love my days off because I get to see my non-people children.

My torts are rarely seen. They sleep in, fully surface around 11 and burrow back down around 430pm. When they are see after that then they are still hungry.

Watch your new baby from a far till she learns you.

Adjust your lights according to their schedule.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Ditto the above.

1. It takes about a week to settle in.

2. Double check your cares, temps, etc. The Tortoise Library (linked below) has both articles and links to other sites you can use to help. There is not ONE ABSOLUTE RIGHT method to raise a tortoise.

3. Leave it as alone as possible during this time to let it get acclimated.

4. Even an acclimated tortoise will hide most of the time.

5. Going a few days without food or water is not a big deal to an otherwise reasonably healthy tortoise.

bobsindenver

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:

Thank you for the warm welcome. Sunday night, my new girl went into her shelter. She has not come out yet. No food or water. I know you all said it's OK. Just checking in. Temp, humidity, etc. perfect

Should I let her come out on her own or .........

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Hi Bob & welcome to the forum. If you are intent on determining if she is alive and well, try putting a piece of strawberry, cantaloupe, mango, papaya, kiwi or banana (last choice) about the size of a kidney bean on a small plastic lid or flat slate-like rock or similar early tomorrow morning and then go to work, back to bed or whatever it is you do during the day - i.e. make the food available and disappear!

Check the enclosure after at least 4 hours have transpired... You may be surprised at what you DON'T find; the food! Once she has eaten (and she will), change the food to more normal fare - dark leafy greens, some veggies, etc. Gradually moving the food dish away from the hide will entice her to investigate her new surroundings and become more comfortable. It doesn't take a Red-Footed Tortoise long to realize who provides the food. When she has had a few meals she will open up and become much more responsive (in tortoise terms) to your presence.

Then you can relax and enjoy the next 50 - 80 years or so wishing that daggum tort would leave you alone long enough for you to get something done! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.