PLEASE HELP FAST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
I posted in the wet cat food thread, but I need help fast so I am making a new thread too.

Today was Tick Tock's first cat food day ever. The cat food I showed in the other thread was fed to him after having it soak in a little big of water for a few hours and then be dowsed with calcium.

While eating it, it seemed messing and he make a kind of smacking noise, but kept on eating. When he went back into his hide, he kept making this smacking, gulping, slushy type noise. So I took him out and had him eat a little piece of turnip greens to see if it would go down. He ate it right up. However, he's still making the noise about an hour and a half later.

PLEASE HELP PLEASE! WHAT'S WRONG? IS THIS NORMAL?!?!?!?!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
You might want to try a short soak. That might clear his mouth of any bits of cat food. :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides what Danny has told you, the next time you feed the dry cat food, just put a very small amount into a glass or a cup and cover it with hot water. The cat food will absorb the water in only a minute or two, then you can drain off the excess water. The resultant cat food will still look like pellets, it holds its shape, and won't be so mushy for the baby to eat.

Yvonne

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
Okay thanks I soaked him last night and now again this morning. I haven't hear the sound in a while so I think he's okay.

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
Oh and thanks for the tip about how to soak it. It was echoed in an e-mail by turtletary.

I'm so dumb!!! I wanted to make sure it was really soaked, and was too stupid to realize if I went overboard it would be mushy. He seems normal now though. I called pro-plan and claimed to have a cat I want to use samples for to test it out. They said they'd send some coupons. They should be here in 7 to 10 days, when i get them if they're decent enough coupons I might consider taking this stuff back and getting the pro plan after all. I think the stuff I already have is probably okay though, so long as I don't act like a moron, so if I stick with it I think he'll be fine.

I'll make sure to take your advice for next time!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
NicholsNINE said:
I'm so dumb!!! I wanted to make sure it was really soaked, and was too stupid to realize if I went overboard it would be mushy. ...... .so long as I don't act like a moron, so if I stick with it I think he'll be fine.

Don't beat yourself up (thanks for the laugh!!). We've all been there at one time or another and done something we hope no one will ever hear about!

Yvonne

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm a pretty new tortoise owner too. It's hard not to go overboard trying to make sure everything is good for them. Hang in there. It gets easier. There does seem like there's so much to learn. Everyone here is great and can give you all the help you need. Jennifer

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Don't worry Nich...I have my Pio 16 months now and I still panic when he doesn't come out to eat in the AM. Every day we learn something new, and we never stop learning.

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone!

He seems ok but he didn't eat very much of his endive or turnip greens. He would bite off a bit then walk to the cool end which riht now is like 70 degrees. That is odd as I didn't think he would want to be there much until I got a heat emitter.

Anything to be worried about? Is he holdin out for more cat food maybe?

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
This morning he is still kind of making the sound. It is almost like a squaking. Help???

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Re: the dust.

Overdoses of fat-soluble vitamins are risky, and many experts in human and reptile nutrition think that our society's obsession with vitamins as a whole is a bad idea. Taking them occasionally as 'insurance' is one thing, taking full doses daily on top of a decent diet is overkill and possibly troublesome.

The dust does not impress me. If your diet is good, it really does not seem to be adding much, and the cat food has the few things that the greens and fruits lack.

Another interesting point is that a study done on many pet vitamins showed that they did not always live up to their claims. In fact, many recommend crushing human vitamins for many pets, including tortoises. A light dusting once a week is about all that you really need- if even that.

Re: Squaking...

What, exactly, has gone on lately? What has happened since the first post?

Without disturbing him, can you figure out what is making the noise? Breathing through the nose? Making it when working the jaws? What?

Do you see any sign of anything in the mouth?

How loud is the noise? Is it obvious from a little distance, or do you have to be really close?

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
Since the first post:

Monday, didn't eat much.
Tuesday (today), ate endive all up without a sound.

I can't really tell what's making the noise but I don't see signs of anything in the mouth, and again he ate normally today.

The noise was pretty loud, but since this morning he hasn't really made it.

I just got home, and like he was a few hours ago he is burrowed under the moss on the cold end of his enclosure. It's a little over 70 on that end. He walked there himself after eating though, so I guess that means he's happy with that temp right now?

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
He made the sound a couple time this morning.

I also was wondering how often a red foot should poop. Maybe he's farting and just constipated?

Status
Not open for further replies.