Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks like there might be a bit of shell rot going on. In the "search" part of the forum, scroll down to "search tortoise forum" and enter "shell rot." We've talked a lot about it and how to treat it.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Currently treating mine for same issue, gotta keep him dry, change ALL the substrate in the tank. Dry dock him in a nurse tank with paper towels for bedding. I see white, which means is probably fungal. I washed mine once with betadine, and scrubbed with a soft tooth brush. Only use the betadine once as it has adverse affects if used more. I kept mine dry for a week, and used regular Lotrimin i got in cvs and a week later it was much better. Still give the daily soak, just towel off the platron and apply cream.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with all above. Good luck, hope it clears quickly for you. Redfoots need high humidity, but is more prone to shell rot if on damp substrate. Keep top substrate dry, while the bottom layers are for moistening.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
wellington said:
I agree with all above. Good luck, hope it clears quickly for you. Redfoots need high humidity, but is more prone to shell rot if on damp substrate. Keep top substrate dry, while the bottom layers are for moistening.

I dont see how ypu wet the bottom without the tOp.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
tupacliveson16 said:
wellington said:

I dont see how ypu wet the bottom without the tOp.

Pour water into the substrate in one spot. Usually a corner will work. Then the bottom layer will be dap and the top layer will be dryer.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Another way for the top to be dryer is to wet one half of the enclosure. Then your torts will have a choice of moisture levels. Also the substrate will dry out from the top down due to exposure to the air and heat from your lamp.

Good luck.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Looks like there was an issue with shell FUNGUS at one point. If it were still there, you would see white patches that will scrape off and flake away. I keep all my Redfoots wet with no issues - Either on spaghnum moss or coconut coir. Just make sure your husbandry is correct and you shouldn't have any issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.