Pinkish growth lines

leash_wish

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! It's been two weeks since I adopted my rescue tort Mango. She has bad pyramiding so I have been working on making her new growth smooth and healthy. I have noticed over the past few days that some of her growth lines look pink. Today there is an area around the back that looks red, almost like a small split. She's getting all her proper food, calcium and uv. Daily soaks and all a tort could need for environment. My question is, is this something left over that has to heal but is now growing out? I've never had shell issues and my sulcata isn't this blonde so maybe I'm being paranoid. Ideas?

Attachments

• 1384719745846.jpg
    1384719745846.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 1384719768005.jpg
    1384719768005.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 142

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
where about is this, on carapace or plastron? I know a pink/red tinge on the plastron can mean septicaemia and a trip to the vet. Pics would help too.

leash_wish

5 Year Member
Hi Mike. I posted pics above. They are on the carapace on the widely her shell near the back end

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks good to me . My babies growth comes in pink then whitens up over a couple days.

leash_wish

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike T. My sully is perfectly round and his growth comes in dark. This is the first new growth I've seen on Mango. Paranoid mom, I know lol!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Those look like growth lines to me, more evident because of the white on Mango. Looks like she is responding to your care. Paranoid mom is all good. At least you can ask on TFO versus wondering or having to ask a vet with a visit. Go Mango! : )

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I have noticed, or at least I think I have, that when people rescue a tortoise that has not had the best of care, that within weeks of a new better home, they seem to burst a little. It seems like a very fast response, being you just got Mango, two weeks ago but in reading other threads I have seen the same. It's almost like their systems are just waiting to be hydrated or have better lighting or temps, and then boom. Kinda cool! Keep it up. Mango is going to look very different in a few months. I bet the lumpies will be less as the new growth comes out smooth. Take pics along the way so you can share the before and after. Yay! : )

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh.My.Gosh! The best Santa with little tortoises picture EVER! That pic is quite awesome! Now that's a Santa! I believe.
And Waffles' FaceBook is super duper cool. Thanks for sharing! No wonder Mango is growing, super happy little leopard now! : )