PetSmart Gets an F.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
I'm very unhappy with my local store.
""Assorted Tortoise"" with rabbit pellet for food and a 4" high water dish. I was so upset. I kindly asked an employee if she knew the proper care for the RUSSIAN and she goes "Just like that. The turtle looks happy enough." I thanked her and took pictures.
1391913376232.jpg
1391913394600.jpg
1391913404037.jpg
1391913414181.jpg

Anywho, I got to see the adoption event. One cat caught my eye: 1391913460614.jpg
1391913468262.jpg
1391913477357.jpg

Overall, tortoise care is at a respectful F.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First you need to say which PetSmart your talking about rather then saying it as if the entire chain is nothing but bad stores. Then explain to me why an "F". True the tortoise can not soak in it's dish, but it could get up to drink. The water dish and entire cage look spotless. The food while not the best diet looks like some kind of chopped salad. Plus it looks fresh. Not saying the pellet part. The tortoise has a hide and can use it. Substrate not the best choice, but it is clean. The enclosure is small, but it is a pet store not a forever home. Employee knowledge is lacking. The animal looks clean and healthy from the little you can see. So why an "F"? I would go more with a C- at worse.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your not going too offer advice with proper care sheets, then your not doing the torts any favors either. Print out care sheets, nicely explain that there are better items too use for substrate, water/soaking dishes, etc. Humans are their only voice. If you don't try to correct the problems, then your just as guilty as the ones giving the bad care. This is meant for anyone who sees bad and does nothing. Sometimes it works on the first suggested advice, sometimes it takes a little more effort.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
First you need to say which PetSmart your talking about rather then saying it as if the entire chain is nothing but bad stores. Then explain to me why an "F". True the tortoise can not soak in it's dish, but it could get up to drink. The water dish and entire cage look spotless. The food while not the best diet looks like some kind of chopped salad. Plus it looks fresh. Not saying the pellet part. The tortoise has a hide and can use it. Substrate not the best choice, but it is clean. The enclosure is small, but it is a pet store not a forever home. Employee knowledge is lacking. The animal looks clean and healthy from the little you can see. So why an "F"? I would go more with a C- at worse.

I agree. This is not a permenent home for this little guy so while not how I would care for him, this is probably they best they are allowed to do for him.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Okay, more explanation:

This 'salad' consists of dehydrated (then sprayed) vegetables. I watched them remove the old food (which was not in an day-old state) and replace it. I was going to take pictures from being the dog clothes rack, but I got some weird looks.
And Jacqui, no, the tortoise could NOT drink from the bowl. There's no way it could drink without falling in.
I also neglected to mention the tort shared a coil bulb light with the next cage, which contained a gecko. I was very disappointed with the overall care.

I did not even attempt to correct the care as the woman i spoke to was not going to relay information. Had I been speaking to a helpful, willing to listen person I would've.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At this point, print up care sheets and ask to see the manager. Be kind and offer to help explain if needed or help if you can. You can't make them make changes, but you should at least try. You can always contact corporate and explain too them about the more updated care that is now available and you would love to be able to recommend their store as one good place to buy properly cared for animals from.
I have contacted corporate about the Petco in my neighborhood. I don't like their care sheets, but the store in my area does house the Russians very well. I'm hoping they will do their research and change their care sheets. Might take awhile, but at least they have been informed.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I'm currently drafting an email to their offices. Hopefully something will be done.