Peppers?

linaizzie

5 Year Member
Hi,
Are orange or yellow bell peppers (or any color) safe for red foot torts to eat? If so, how often? Should they be treated as fruit (once or twice a week)? Both Rake and Ruin seem to like them a lot, and they tend to like the things that are not super awesome to eat all the time, like mushrooms and mangoes and bananas. Also, are avocados bad? I know they are fatty, and the skin and pits can be a problem. What about the meat? I accidentally put avocado in the food the other day (I was making a salad for myself too) and they loved it.

Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No on the avocado, all parts are toxic to animals. The peppers can be fed sparingly.

linaizzie

5 Year Member
wellington said:
No on the avocado, all parts are toxic to animals. The peppers can be fed sparingly.

Is it toxic to all animals? Or just torts? I know some dog food has it. I can't imagine they'd put it in there if it were toxic to them. Obviously reptiles are different than dogs, but just wondering.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
linaizzie said:
wellington said:

Is it toxic to all animals? Or just torts? I know some dog food has it. I can't imagine they'd put it in there if it were toxic to them. Obviously reptiles are different than dogs, but just wondering.

Yea like Avoderm.....

linaizzie

5 Year Member
I guess better safe and not feed. Most things I read said the pit and skin are toxic but fruit is fine for at least dogs and cats. Who knows what sorta of tests were done though; maybe it's not the best and time will generate a recall, which would be sad.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I've find avocado to my torts in very small quantities with no ill effects. Did not know there were potentially poisonous though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have fed small amounts of bell peppers mixed in with other stuff for years to all my species. I tend to avoid the more sugary fruits, but it should be okay as part of a varied diet for RFs.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I have also provided bell peppers to my redfoots as a fruit option. I generally feed fruit once a week sometimes once/2 weeks.

Good information at:
www.tortoiselibrary.com ->Nutrition -> Food List

linaizzie

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. The torts always get a mix of 3-4 things, with fruit only twice a week. Normally there's a green, a veg or two, and Mazuri.