Pansies from Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortLaw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I was at Home Depot today and impulsively bought a few Pansy plants for Sheldon. I know that they are safe for torts, but my questions are: should I be concerned that these plants were treated with pesticides from Home Depot here in Colorado? (It didn't say anything about pesticides, of course, I forgot to ask, and we don't really have bug problems in Colorado because it's too cold for them for nine months out of the year, so I don't know how widespread the use might be here as compared to somewhere where pests are a big problem, like Florida.)

My second question is, are only the leaves and flowers safe, or is the rest of the plant, safe? I wanted to just plant the plants directly in Sheldon's enclosure and see what he does this first go around. (He stops eating when he's not hungry, so I don't think I would have an overfeeding issue, and I'm fine if he tears up/destroys the plants.)

Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The Home Depot would not be the source of concern for pesticides/herbicides/fertilizers....that would be the grown of the plant that Home Depot contracts to supply them for sale to the public....most times on the plant container somewhere is the name of the nursery, you can contact them and inquire as to their practice for that plant....

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Generally, yes, the growers will give them some hormones or systematic fertilizers to get them ready for market and to keep them looking good longer until sale. Avoid feeding until at least a month in order to purge anything out. You may want to consider growing little Johnny Jump Ups from seed, easy peasy. And once they get going in a perfect area, they reseed themselves. I think the flowers mostly, for eating. Some fancy restaurants in Beverly Hills feature them in their salads, so people can eat them, too! Fun!

Cymmie

5 Year Member
I'm growing seeds of Johnny Jump Ups for my soon to be Hermanni and they seem to be doing well. I got a good sized package from home depot.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Cymmie said:
I'm growing seeds of Johnny Jump Ups for my soon to be Hermanni and they seem to be doing well. I got a good sized package from home depot.

Yay! : ) Grow a little for your little tortoise and a little for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.