palm trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Arizona
I am getting a palm tree from a friend and want to know if it is okay to plant next to my tort enclosure. I know when it is windy they drop a lot of leaves and stuff, is it safe for my Sulcata?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I don't think they are dangerous. I'd be surprised if he tries to eat a leaf. Most likely won't bother with it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
If you trim the one's that start looking old and dry you will be okay. I use to work at the Mirage hotel in Las Vegas, and when it got really windy some leaves would fall off but it was always old and dried ones. They always tried to cut them off when they could to avoid thing like that.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Ours wont eat them. I had a female aldabra on breeding loan many years ago that had eaten some prior to her arrival and did not process them. Her poop was full of them for awhile.

River14

5 Year Member
To be honest it depends on what kind of palm.

I have every kind imaginable however Washingtonia species are the best as they dont drop at all.

However Roystonea species for example can drop massive heavy dried leaves that could knock a person cold stone sensless and worse.

So it pays to know what you are planting and where.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
well I love gardening so I won't let it get too unkept to where things fall off randomly. I will try to keep it trimmed properly :) But thanks for the heads up. It will be in the cent of our backyard

Status
Not open for further replies.