Paint on tort

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Well I thought my baby had grass stains in her head and thought it was cute but upon closer
Inspection, it is actually green paint on her head and a touch of green and blue on her legs. I am just guessing my daughter had paint on her hands or clothes and picked her up. I don't think it was intentional. Any idea how to get it off? It must be acrylic since watercolor should have washed off in her soak.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Linz2491 said:
Well I thought my baby had grass stains in her head and thought it was cute but upon closer
Inspection, it is actually green paint on her head and a touch of green and blue on her legs. I am just guessing my daughter had paint on her hands or clothes and picked her up. I don't think it was intentional. Any idea how to get it off? It must be acrylic since watercolor should have washed off in her soak.

A bit of mineral oil on a swab should do it.

May[TURTLE]
1.1.0 Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

Kara

5 Year Member
Did you try the mineral oil? Was it effective?

Lea, my guest tortoise, has pink paint & glitter all over her shell. I'd like to get it off, but have no idea how to go about it.

Attachments

• Turtle walking away.jpg
    Turtle walking away.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
I'm curious if the mineral oil helped too. Let us know! :)

-Jen

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Kara said:

Lea, my guest tortoise, has pink paint & glitter all over her shell. I'd like to get it off, but have no idea how to go about it.

The paint on your tort look like nail polish to me, from the way it's chipping. Mineral oil will likely not work, in that case. Only nail polish remover might do the job, but I don't recommend it. The fumes could be very harmful to torts.

If you scratch the bits that are chipping off, does the paint lift easily?

May[TURTLE]
1.1.0 Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Omg, what abuse!! That pink nail polish is all over his carapace! I bet the majority of his growth lines are covered with the stuff. This
is what I'd do. I would go to WalMart or someplace where they sell nail polish. There is a NON-ACETONE polish remover that you can get. In a well vented place, I would use a q-tip and put remover on it. Only try and remove paint from the growth lines around each scute.Then, rinse off with warm water. Don't try and remove it all off because it's not good for the shell and your tort. In a very long time, it will eventually come off on its own.

Kara said:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
sibi said:
Omg, what abuse!! That pink nail polish is all over his carapace! I bet the majority of his growth lines are covered with the stuff. This
is what I'd do. I would go to WalMart or someplace where they sell nail polish. There is a NON-ACETONE polish remover that you can get. In a well vented place, I would use a q-tip and put remover on it. Only try and remove paint from the growth lines around each scute.Then, rinse off with warm water. Don't try and remove it all off because it's not good for the shell and your tort. In a very long time, it will eventually come off on its own.

Kara said:

2nd this suggestion....and do it ASAP!

And maybe tell the poor thing's owner that it escaped or is too sick to return just yet...until the owner forgets about it!