Overcoming shyness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn2

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
Marble (1 year marginated) is so incredibly shy that he doesn't want to come out and bask since my oldest son moved in with me. The only way I can get him to is by moving his enclosure into my room and keeping everything quiet and everyone away from him or putting him outside. He is my 10 year old son's pet but doesn't like anyone but myself.

He's fine when he's just around me. Basks, eats, explores just fine. I just can't get over how shy he is. He can identify my oldest son (must be by smell) when he enters the same room and if he's outside of his hide he makes a mad dash for it and won't come out until he feels it's safe which is sometimes all day. I'm afraid that he is not basking or eating enough.

Is there anything we can do to make him more comfortable with other people? I've heard of dogs being one owner pets but tortoises?

Thanks for your help!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
He will eventually adjust, perhaps your son can be the one that offers food for awhile, also maybe your son can be the one that takes him to and from his outdoor time...involve your son in his care in ways you are comfortable with .....tortoise are creatures of routine is all....

Dawn2

5 Year Member
ascott said:
He will eventually adjust, perhaps your son can be the one that offers food for awhile, also maybe your son can be the one that takes him to and from his outdoor time...involve your son in his care in ways you are comfortable with .....tortoise are creatures of routine is all....

Thank you Angela...I will try that...

Status
Not open for further replies.