Outside

THEELEG

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
When does everybody start living there torts outside full time?? He goes out everyday for a few hours, but was wondering when I can leave him out full time. image.jpeg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Tom has posted this before. It is based on size but I can't remember exactly what size it is. If they are big enough, some are ready at 2 years. I didn't start putting Charlie outside full time until we moved to this house when he was nearly 5. I hadn't intended on moving him outside full-time but it was summer and I put him out in a fenced in yard just until I could get something set up for him. He immediately dug a burrow so I didn't bother with creating an indoor home for him after that.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Mine was about 10 inches long. He was probably close to 10 pounds, but I can't remember for certain. I had been bringing him in every night and taking out every morning for several months before that. During that time I built a night box and monitored the overnight temperatures to be certain that it was going to be warm enough. He was going into the night box during the day to check it out and then he just started going in late in the afternoon and "digging" into a corner. That is when I knew it was time to leave him out.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
He is bigger in person then the pic, I also live in tx so the temps right now is no big deal. Also would set up a water system to spray every so often to keep it humid

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Mine just turned 2 and is a10", I still put him/her in heated night box with high humidity every night in My garage. All my torts at a bout an hour before dark go to there hides and start settling in so I put them inside. The weather here shows mid 80's with 70 plus humidity but my issue really is trusting the kids won't come in my yard and take them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I let my Sulcatas stay outside most of the day, weather permitting, once they are around 5-6", and they sleep with snide all night. I move them outside full time once they are around 8-10". I try to wait for late spring to move them outside permanently. This way they have a few months to really learn the night box before the cold nights hit.