Outdoors Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather2128

5 Year Member
Good day everyone! I am thinking about getting a tortoise. From what I've read so far, a good "starter" is the red footed tort (I think that's the right name.) My question is this: We have a privacy fenced in yard. Could the baby tort start out in an outside pen, and then later be allowed the freedom of the yard, or is this a very dumb question? I live right outside Mobile, AL. Thanks for your time.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
That is not a dumb question, but a very frequetly asked one! First I suggest that you spend several hours researching the specis and their requirements. If your looking to buy a baby, you should keep him inside. I am sure you will find better answers to your questions with in a few hours ( the NERD, Yvonne, Terry!).

Good luck!

Heather2128

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply!! Don't worry, I am going to read everything i can find on them before I decide to buy. I made that mistake in the past with my fish; I won't do it again! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm a big advocate of allowing a tortoise to be outside in the largest area available. If your back yard is heavily planted and you are able to keep it high in humidity, I see no reason why, as an adult, the tortoise can't be allowed to have the whole back yard (barring dogs or in-the-ground pool). Try to learn what the redfoot's home environment is in South America and see if your back yard duplicates that setting. I mean, if your yard is open and very sunny and hot, then I would say no, because the tortoise needs more shade. Only you can be the judge of the correct answer.

Oh...and I forgot to say, "A BIG WELCOME to the forum!!"

Heather2128

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I'm a big advocate of allowing a tortoise to be outside in the largest area available. If your back yard is heavily planted and you are able to keep it high in humidity, I see no reason why, as an adult, the tortoise can't be allowed to have the whole back yard (barring dogs or in-the-ground pool). Try to learn what the redfoot's home environment is in South America and see if your back yard duplicates that setting. I mean, if your yard is open and very sunny and hot, then I would say no, because the tortoise needs more shade. Only you can be the judge of the correct answer.

Oh...and I forgot to say, "A BIG WELCOME to the forum!!"

:)
Our environment here is very humid, and the yard has two very large sheds that are off the ground, with lots of room underneath for oodles of dark shade.. no pool, and lots of grass and plants. I really like the idea of having a tort have the run of our yard. It's pretty big, and it just seems like it would be more natural. Hmmm, maybe I should get an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.