Outdoor humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD9981

5 Year Member
Live in SW FL and have a 5" RF in an outdoor enclosure. I see a lot of people with indoor enclosures very worried about their humidity level to the %. I obviously have no control over the humidity in his enclosure but what can I do to help keep it comfortable for him. Should I be spraying it or part of it daily?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Florida usually has great humidity. Well, maybe that depends on what part? If you don't think there is high enough humidity, you could spray it, or make a hide a humid hide.

JD9981

5 Year Member
I have a weather app on my phone that allows me to check the local humidity levels and I am planning on getting something for his enclosure so I know exactly what I am dealing with in his environment. What should the humidity range be? Maybe I will just spray it down when the humidity is low. To make a humid hide would I just keep damp bedding in it? Sorry so many ?s but every time I google something I get diff or better advice on here. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think the right humidity would be 70% or higher. For a hide, I would put coconut coir on the bottom, moist, not dripping wet, put in the warmer area of the enclosure. You can also cover half to 3/4 of the enclosure to bring up humidity.

JD9981

5 Year Member
Ok great. Thank you. Humidity here right now is only about 53%. I will cover a corner with a tarp. That explains why he like the one hide, it is the sunniest corner. I will go spray it down right now in that area.

Jessamy

5 Year Member
I live in central FL and during the summer I think we stay humid enough for an adult RF if there is a hide/shade but for my juvenile I m
Sorry, anyway I would spray if their a juvenile, it's extra hot or their is no rain for awhile but 50% general is ok if their is a humid hide.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Once you plant a couple of the bigger bushes, and put mulch in, it will stay more moist at ground level whenever you spray it. I'm not planning on spraying Daisy's enclosure on the days it's below 70, though, until I have her warm area set up. Wet+cold=sick. :(

JD9981

5 Year Member
Well you can help me figure out the best place to make a warm area. :) Until we get together I won't do more than spray it when it is really really dry then.
I have been taking him out and putting him at his food dish every night. Last night he ate a hibiscus blossom, a grape, a piece of spring mix and one of the pellets you gave me. Tonight he had a marigold blossom, a piece of spring mix and carrot shavings. He still eats and goes right back into that one hide. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.