Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
SuzieArizona said:
Of course eating was not the first thing on the males mind.

Seems to be true of all most all of them. :D Very beautiful animals! How deep did you make their pool?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
SuzieArizona said:
Great photo's! Would you mind telling me what kind of camera you have? I caught three of my box turtles out this morning too. Of course eating was not the first thing on the males mind.

These pics were shot with a Canon Powershot SX 210. This camera zooms pretty far, takes decent pics, and is indispensible. I really like it as a carry-around camera.

The bottom pics of the blue male were taken with a Canon 50D, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS lens, and a Canon 580EX flash.

Steve

Jacqui said:
SuzieArizona said:
Of course eating was not the first thing on the males mind.

Seems to be true of all most all of them. :D Very beautiful animals! How deep did you make their pool?

Each pool is about 12 inches deep, with the bottom pool about 18 inches deep.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
terryo said:
Yes, he has blue on his throat as well. It seems to be a pied trait. He's my long-term project!

Please keep me in mind if he produces anything that has the blue trait! He is exceptional!!

I will.

Momof4 said:
They look so healthy and gorgeous!! Great pics by the way. I bet they came out nice because it was cloudy.

Overcast days are always good for pics, especially when the clouds are thinning and the sun is about to come out, but not quite (not this day).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've always been a fan of natural hibernation. This is the first Winter that I can ever remember that we had no snow and mild weather, but none of mine have come up yet. It's always a worry here with the cold Winters, and the waiting always makes me nervous.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Very nice! Do you have any other pictures of your enclosures? Are your ponds filtered in anyway or do you just replace the water?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Neal said:
Very nice! Do you have any other pictures of your enclosures? Are your ponds filtered in anyway or do you just replace the water?

Yes, they go through a biological filter and then a UV Sterilyzer filter.
Here are pics.

The pen.
IMG_0134s.jpg

The ponds. Each is about an inch higher than the next and flows into it. The final pond is the biggest and deepest. The rolled up long black thing is shade cloth, attached to two 12 foot 2x4's. It will be unrolled to shade the first four ponds as summer draws close.
IMG_0135s.jpg

The bottom pond is the biggest. It has the pump in it. The biological filter is to the left of the pond,partially buried, with the rocks piled over the top.
IMG_0137s.jpg

The pump is in the bottom, and a 2 inch piece of pvc pipe runs through the concrete wall to take the hose and electric cord out.
IMG_0136s-1.jpg

Next, the water runs through an 18 watt UV Sterylizer that is up under the pen wall.
IMG_0138s.jpg

Last, the water is poured into the first, highest pond. I imagine I will try to make this part look better at some point. I was tired and ready to be done with this over-time, over-budget project!
IMG_0139s.jpg

The water flows down a trough from pond to pond. I added the screening to keep leaves from building up and damming the water up.
IMG_0141s-1.jpg

And that's it!
:)

Steve

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow! You must have worked like a dog doing this project. It is so well thought out! Absolutely fantastic!

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
turtlemann2 said:
well ill say that those are even more detailed :)!so very jelious, what type of turtle is that under the water?

It's a Stinkpot Musk.

Status
Not open for further replies.