Out All Year???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
So I'm trying to raise the money to build a outdoor enclosure for my Leopard and Russian tortoise's (don't worry they will be separated) but should I leave my Leopard out all year? It gets pretty cold out hear in Southern California (like it snows in the winter) so should I bring him in during the winter while he is small? Or leave him out. He will have a heated house when he is big (or should I make him one while he is little) Thanks guys!!!!!! :)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
You have to bring both tortoises in during the winter. The leopard is way too small to leave out over winter and the russian will hibernate and you cant just move him outside a few months before hibernation and expect him to be 100% ready for hibernation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not while still little. Tom still brings his 8" two year olds in at night. I won't keep mine out 24/7 until I can't carry him anymore, or too hard to carry him in. I might keep him out at night during the summer when he is a little bigger, but has to be a lot bigger for 24/7 and in the winter.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Its warmer here where I am and I have to provide heat for my adult leopards or I think they wouldnt survive the winters. My adult sulcatas do perfectly fine but I really worry the leopards wouldnt make it.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Its warmer here where I am and I have to provide heat for my adult leopards or I think they wouldnt survive the winters. My adult sulcatas do perfectly fine but I really worry the leopards wouldnt make it.

Ok I'll do that :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I keep the leopards outside all year after they've reached 6 inches. They have a large heated house they are placed in every night that ranges between 55 - 85 during the nighttime.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Neal said:
I keep the leopards outside all year after they've reached 6 inches. They have a large heated house they are placed in every night that ranges between 55 - 85 during the nighttime.

Ok. I'll get a CHE and one of those none hot heating pad things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.