Ornates

Status
Not open for further replies.

harwood

5 Year Member
Hi I was hoping some one could answer a few questions for me,

1. At what size would you expect to be able to reliably determine the sex of T.o.ornata?
2. I know that as young they need a fair amount of livefood is my feeding schedule ok
day 1 - vegetarian day
day 2 - omnivorous day
day 3 - nothing
day 4 - carnivorous day
day 5 - nothing

Harwood

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking that my eastern baby is two years old, and about the size of my palm. She has just developed a hinge. If I were FORCED to guess, I would guess female because looking at her tail and general shape she looks female. But at this age/size its really a crap shoot. By next year, bigger than my palm and three years old, it would be easier to "guess."

How big/old is your ornate?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Your diet looks okay. May I suggest that instead of having a certain day for each type of food, you offer him a variety at each sitting. For example: 50% protein, 30% vegetables, 20% fruit, and 10% greens - all mixed together. This method works well for me and it helps them learn to eat other foods. (By the way I feed mine this MWF and live food on Saturday.) Also, they don't have to have "live" food - just 50% protein - so you can feed them chicken, turtle brittle, dried grasshoppers, bloodworms, beef heart (not too much) ... etc.

harwood

5 Year Member
Thank you both:D

to emysemys
I have a cb08(late) and cb09, the 08 isn't quite the size of a palm and the 09 is a fair bit smaller

to kimber_lee_314
I will start varying their protein sources more and feeding a mixed diet each day

Thanks
Harwood

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Harwood:

I don't think we've ever given you a proper...

932414ssy2ulhs5x.gif
to the forum!!

How is that little Ornate's eye doing?

M

Maggie Cummings

I feed my box turtle babies everyday. I feed my adults night crawlers, trout chow, sardines, squash and other veggies depending what looks good to me when I'm shopping and super worms. My Ornates seems to eat more of the live food and protein and they don't eat when I feed veggies but the 3-toed eat daily they don't ever refuse anything.
Everybody eats when I feed cantaloupes and trout chow. In the summer I will offer them blackberries and blueberries that I have picked. I am looking forward to that now...
They really chow down then, they love berries.

harwood

5 Year Member
Thank you for the welcome:D:D

Its eye is better thanks:) its been a bit of a rollercoaster ride at one point I didn't get to see its eyeball for a good few days it was swollen so bad:(

Will have to try berries out on them then thanks for the tip

Status
Not open for further replies.