opinions on extra scutes please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonsparklexoxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
syracuse new york
Im just wondering everyones outlook on what extra scutes mean and if they are a defect or if you believe females are more likely to have them than males.... im just curious I guess.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have often heard that it can be caused by incubation temperatures but have also heard it can be due to genetics. Not sure if there is any evidence to support either. Some people also think that this gives them a higher chance of being female.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
From what I have heard, most people believe that it is caused from being incubated at a higher temperature, which is also a way to raise the chances that it is a female, so if that is true they probably do go hand in hand most of the time.

TBoyze

5 Year Member
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
I think they are unique and cute if you are not into breeding or anything ImageUploadedByTortForum1372357849.125257.jpg :p

Proud New Mommy of a Baby Sulcata <3
Msg Me to help Name Him :)

Last edited by a moderator:

abclements

5 Year Member
Technically yes, it is a defect. This is why some breeders sell them for less (most "B" grade torts have split schutes). On the other hand, a lot of people love the patterns of split schute tortoises. Like others have said, it seems to be a cause of higher incubation temps (breeders try to produce a higher ratio of females per clutch this way). So the ones with split schutes are more often than not, female. But that doesn't mean they all are.

I have read that it is not genetic. Lots of breeders have adults that have split schutes that produce many non-split and have non-split adults that produce splits. The babies may be a little more prone to split schutes if the parents have splits but this is just me speculating and I have no evidence to back up this claim lol

Status
Not open for further replies.