One of those stupid ?s...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Can torts eat the stems of collard greens and mustard greens..?
Sorry. I know that's a dumb one.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its not a dumb question. yes they can eat them. Typically as a general observation in my group of animals. I have noticed they do not like the collard stems as they are pretty tough.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
No it is not a stupid question and it is even one that gets asked every so often. The answer is yes they can eat the stems. I like giving the stems more as something that helps to wear down the beak and also to give them something to do. Eating the harder stems tends to take time and slows them down from their fast eating. The stems stay "fresher" longer, so they kind serve as an "all day sucker" of sorts. Food value in the stem is not as high as the leaf part.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
One of my Russian tortoises just loves the stems. He will eat the stems before the leaves. :)

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
:) thanks guys!

That was an old pic. She has definitely grown. But I tore them all up into pieces anyway and stuffed them in a ziplock bag. I think it's just easier. The bundles were enormous.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
They can definitely eat them, and it may help to wear down their beak, as has already been stated, but mine won't touch them.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Well I just fed Sami a plateful of the collard & mustard greens for the first time. A PLATEFUL. She totally tore into them. I've never seen her eat so much. She dosent eat nearly as much romaine. She ate the stems just fine though I made sure I tore them into tiny pieces. Success! Thanks friends. :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi,

The green stems of leafy green plants have a higher calcium content than the leaves. The cell walls in the stem tissue is stronger to hold the leaf up, and it is also full of vascular tissue. It is a good food and has a somewhat different nutrient profile than the leaf itself from the plant as a whole.

I have seen many tortoises preferentially eating the stem before the leaf as they forage on a pile of greens.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.