Oleander- get rid of it or fence around it?

Analogue

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ
Plan to adopt a Desert Tortoise. We have ONE Oleander in backyard, where the tortoise will be kept. We've an over 6' block wall, no way can he escape it, but in one corner of the yard is an Oleander. I know how toxic these are, and wondering if I should just eradicate the entire plant & any fallen leaves/twigs or enclose the shrub, as in build a tortoise proof fencing around it or something?

Does anyone have oleander where their tortoises are kept? Do they steer clear of it or should I get rid of the plant altogether?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would get rid of it. My old next door neighbor's rottweiler pup was chewing on a twig and died the next day. They since found out the twig was from the oleander bush. No sense in taking any chances when there are so many other beautiful yet edible shrubs to replace it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
100% get rid of it. Get rid of all traces of it. Dig up the roots and carefully and completely remove the entire plant. Don't leave behind one single leaf.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I removed an entire hedgerow of 6 plants before getting Chug. And the plants were adjacent to, but not inside, his enclosure.

I also had them hauled away. I refused to allow them to be burned on my property. Even their smoke is toxic.