Odd Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

bllauben

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Marine City, Michigan
I have a question.

Boris started bobbing his head at Sonya. Normally, Sonya would get as far away from Boris as possible because he generally tries to mate with her when he starts his head bobbing. Today, when he started his head bobbing, she did not hide. Instead, Sonya started head bobbing back. She's never done this before. What's going on? Is this normal? As soon as I walked up to her, she stopped the head bobbing. As soon as I left, they resumed. Boris also started tilting his head and doing the bob. Sonya started to mimick his behavior. Could she be ready to mate? I cannot think of any other explanation.

moswen

5 Year Member
yah, i agree, sonya's either standing up to boris for her territory or they're about to make little tortoise babies. i've never heard of a female actually wanting to mate though, usually they just give in from all the pestering or keep running.

bllauben

5 Year Member
Marine City, Michigan
Thanks! Come tax time, they will have an enclosure three times larger than the one they have now. Hopefully that helps with the territory thing.

LuluandCoco

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Hi,
I have 2 female Russian tortoises and one of them does the head bobbing thing to the other. I think it is some sort of communication and probably territorial...but who knows for sure???

Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.