Obtaining a redfoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alongtheway

5 Year Member
Hi!

I am looking to obtain a redfoot tortoise and I've been looking for a few months.

I really don't want to buy from PETCO, even to my eyes, their tortoises looked ill and as much as I would like to rescue it I am new to tortoises and I don't think a sick tortoise is the way to start.

The other option seems to be purchasing online. I'm again apprehensive to go this route. Many of the online vendors seem sketchy at best, and I'm concerned about the poor thing being shipped.

Ideally, I would like to buy from a breeder or adopt, but I have not been able to find anything in the Northeast.

I'm willing to travel within reason, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to obtain a tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi alongtheway:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you're from?

We have several redfoot breeders here on the forum. If you go through the "for sale" threads you should be able to find them, then send them a PM or email. They'll give you all the info you need on shipping or even if shipping can be accomplished this time of year.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
HI, Welcome!! you'll love it here.
I'm in Mass and have this really nice RF youngster? Not sure what you were looking for. Healthy happy,just one too many.
PM me.
NAy

alongtheway

5 Year Member
Hi again.

This is a fantastic community, the immediate responses are amazing.

I am near Philadelphia PA, but like I said, moderate travel is of course not a big deal.

Please excuse me excluding my name. I have a very, very unusual name and while I am not at all concerned about providing it to any one of you, I try to keep my publicly searchable presence online very low. If anyone really want to know feel free to PM me and I'll tell you :p

Thank you for the warm welcome and the suggestions!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
How about nick name? :)
What kind of housing can you offer a tort? do you want a adult or a smaller one to start?
Have you checked craigslist?

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Welcome Alongtheway,

I know what you mean about not wanting to share your real name. I have good reasons as well that I cannot "openly" share my real name, but have shared it with a few folks in private. In about four more years I may feel secure to come out of the shell, but until then Balboa will have to do. "Alongtheway" just seems a bit of a mouthful. hmmm I guess we can call you A-Way. :)

I have absolutely no experience with mail ordering torts. I've been tempted to order from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com as he's a member of this board, and occasionally posts in the regular forums in addition to just the for sales. That glimpse of the human behind the website encourages me.

Mick at Arizona Tortoise Compound is another great guy, and active member of this forum, arizonatortoiscompound.com, but I don't think he really carries much in the way of redfoots.

Like others mentioned, we have many members of this board who breed redfoots, but I have no idea as to who has any right now. These would also mostly be babies, something I think most wouldn't suggest for a first time keeper (I'm assuming that's your case).

Also I ask as a keeper of redfoots that only has them because they were rescues, make sure you've FULLY researched them. They're a great tort, but not the easiest for most folks to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.