Not using his back legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighog85

5 Year Member
Hey everyone. So my male golden greek was having respiratory problems a couple of weeks ago so I quickly got him to my vet. They nebulized him and gave me baytril to administer orally. He quickly got over that problem and even started eating again today but for the last few days he has not been using his back legs. He just sort of drags himself along with his front legs. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before. I doubt this is the case but could he just be really weak from everything that has happened? I put him in his outdoor pen today and he immediately started eating. When I pick him up I can see his legs move ever so slightly but he does not attempt to use them for moving around. I am attempting to contact my vet so nobody needs to recommend that, I am just looking for any other advice that might be helpful.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Not using their back legs usually results from the wrong substrate, they get lazy and just drag themselves around, since your is recent it could be just weakness from the treatments. You could always exercise his back legs, since he does use them but weakly he still has use of them.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
HI , MY FIRST PANCAKE DID THAT. HE USED HIS TAIL AS A LEG. HE WAS REALLY SICK. HE HAD MBD. I AM NOT SAYING YOUR TORT. HAS THAT. JUST SAYING IT ACTED THAT WAY. LINDY LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AND HOPE ITS OKAY! LINDY

bighog85

5 Year Member
Ya I thought about MBD but he does not show any other signs. He tries to be active, he eats, he fought me when I would give him the baytril. I did notice that his back claws were really long so I trimmed them. I guess if it was uncomfortable then he might have let his legs atrophy over the winter. I will keep you all posted.

John

5 Year Member
In my opinion this could be due to the tort being in pain, the problem would be determining the cause, there could be several,for example impaction or a stone.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
squamata said:
In my opinion this could be due to the tort being in pain, the problem would be determining the cause, there could be several,for example impaction or a stone.

I agree,
when turned onto his back does he flare his back legs?
Have a chat with the vet, and an xray might be in order!

Status
Not open for further replies.