Not many options here

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
Before Bella went missing last fall, I was trying to figure out her diet for here in Winslow AZ. I had don't have the food options here that had back In Louisville. In Louisville they sold veggies by the pound and I could just get a baggie and go to the bottom and get the loose leaves from kale, endive. mustards etc.....here, it's very limited. They are sold in small bunches and much of it doesn't always look the best. I have ordered some "Muzurie" and I can get plenty of frozen............is frozen OK?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona.... :rolleyes: oops sorry hard this strange tune running thru my head for no reason...:D

Frozen is okay, but not the best. Some of the nutrients are lost, but to me more imporatntly the physical properties are usually lost. Frozen veggies once thawed are well mushy usually. Tortoises need for their mental health I think, and for sure their beaks the harder firmer fibrous qualities of fresh greens and weeds. Even in Winslow, you can grow plants to feed if you can't buy any fresh ones.

So to answer your question, yes frozen is still feedable, just not ideal for a large part of their diet in my mind.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
I can buy the bags of "Spring Mix" here. And I can get fresh fruits. I also ordered some of "Mazuries"(SP?) this morning...as for growing LOL....I'm trying to learn how grow anything out here...it sure isn't like back home!!!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D I can see where there would be a huge learning curve from where you use to live, to living in Arizona. :D Of course it's not all bad, especially with things like growing cactus. Your lucky, too, you currently only have one mouth to feed correct? I thought you had a Russian? If so, you really should not be feeding fruit. :rolleyes: Well something like a sometimes treat of cactus fruit would be okay. :tort:

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Try Opuntia cactus (a.k.a. nopal in your neck of the woods). The spineless and glochid-free is easier on you (and your tortoise). You probably can get it reasonably priced at any local veggie market and especially at a farmer's market.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My grandma lived in Bisbee for years and gardened. She made beds by removing the top 3-4 inches of caliche and replacing it with purchased garden soil. Worked for her!

Status
Not open for further replies.