Not eating

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I do understand that there's times that some tortoises don't feel like eating... however that's never been my experience with Sulcata and Mary Knobbins has not eaten for 5 days. I never experienced Sulcata not eating. Today I pushed her out the door and closed it and all she's done is spend time trying to bang on that door to get back in.... so what I did then was I took the doggie door door and put it over the sleeping box and it upset her so much that I was afraid that not being able to get into sleeping box was more detrimental than not eating... I've never had a Sulcata not eat I'm not exactly quite sure what to do. Why? I keep thinking she just needs sun...but she doesn't want to be outside...Oh and I picked her up just now and she's lost weight thru the winter...damn it

Attachments

• 100_1575.JPG
    100_1575.JPG
    656 KB · Views: 31

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Sorry Maggie, I know that Mary is very important to you.....unless she ate something bad, she's prob just moping for a few days. Warm her up in a soak and she how she acts? You were instrumental in teaching me the value of carrot soaks...course MK is big and will need about 6 bucks worth per soak! Yikes!

I hope she comes around for you Mags.

and soon!

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I do understand that there's times that some tortoises don't feel like eating... however that's never been my experience with Sulcata and Mary Knobbins has not eaten for 5 days. I never experienced Sulcata not eating. Today I pushed her out the door and closed it and all she's done is spend time trying to bang on that door to get back in.... so what I did then was I took the doggie door door and put it over the sleeping box and it upset her so much that I was afraid that not being able to get into sleeping box was more detrimental than not eating... I've never had a Sulcata not eat I'm not exactly quite sure what to do. Why? I keep thinking she just needs sun...but she doesn't want to be outside...Oh and I picked her up just now and she's lost weight thru the winter...damn it
Again? I wonder why? Perhaps @Tom or @Markw84 have had the same experience. I remember a while ago you fed a bunch of dandelions and it helped to get things going. Do you think she could be constipated? What's she been eating the past while?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Aw'www such a mug!
I hope MK feels better soon for both your sakes.
So, I'm sure you have checked the boxes, , ,
Heat ?,
Is she warm enough, can you shoot her with a thermal Temp gun?
Water ?,
Potential injury?
Does she have a special treat that you could ply her with . . ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Look what I just came across...this is what Sulcata means to me...

View attachment 340701
For those of you that don't know me well, this is Bob. He was 100+ pounds and only 17 when he was killed by a surgery. The smartest and best tortoise ever. I will never have a bond with any other animal like I did with Bob....

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Here's to Bob's Memory!
?
?

He seems like he was a pretty nice guy...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
In the mean time....Mary K is still not eating. She fights me when I pull her out of the sleeping box, guess who's stronger...I'm not sure what to do...nothing I guess....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did you double check your thermometers are working correctly? The usual cause for them to not eat is they're not warm enough.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So Mary Knobbins has not eaten in 7 days, maybe 6...lol... I took a whole container full of Spring Mix, a bag of kale, buncha mustard greens, collard greens, a whole radicchio head and piled it all in her shed about 20 minutes ago...I just went to check on her...the food is all gone....she just won't eat hay I guess....

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
So Mary Knobbins has not eaten in 7 days, maybe 6...lol... I took a whole container full of Spring Mix, a bag of kale, buncha mustard greens, collard greens, a whole radicchio head and piled it all in her shed about 20 minutes ago...I just went to check on her...the food is all gone....she just won't eat hay I guess....
Oh, Maggie, that is such wonderful news. At this point in time, getting Her to eat ANYTHING is an accomplishment. Yay 🎉!
Just start working the bits of hay into what she WILL eat....🥰

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Circa 1990...the car was so new. Notice he doesn't wear a bra yet...loland me with 1980's hair, black Levi's and cowboy boots...lol oh lordy.View attachment 340812
what a time in my life!!!
😁😁😁I still dress like that if I can get by with it 😜 my black jeans are my dress pants.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I guess you just finally got trained 🤗