not eating, eyes closed

FelixMarvin

Location (City and/or State)
Torrance
I recently acquired a 9 to 10-month-old baby sulcata, and he's experiencing issues with not opening his eyes or eating. I've attempted soaking him in water, hoping he'll improve in 1 or 2 days, and I'm also maintaining the temperature for him. I'm concerned about his feeding habits; he's not consuming anything. Any suggestions on what he might enjoy eating? Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are the exact temps and humidity you are maintaining? So many say they have the correct temps, but then when questioned further they have the old outdated info.
We need exact temps?, basking, all over, night?
Humidity?
Type of lights and heat you are using, the bulbs etc.
Substrate?
Diet?
How often do you normally soak?
How big is enclosure and is it open top table or closed chamber?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
1. Can you tell a bit more about his enclosure? What are the temperatures - day/night, under the basking lamp and ambient? What heating and lights do you have?
2. Was he active when you've got him? How long do you have him? Does he move at all? Can you post a photo of him and his eyes? Any other symptoms, like shedding skin, foam from mouth, colored (red/yellow) spots on the skin?

In short, he needs temperatures of 80F all night and day with basking zone reaching 95-100F.
You may try to add a can of baby carrot food (yes, carrot food for human babies) in his soaking water - sometimes it helps weak tortoises to "recharge". But we have to be sure, that environment is correct (temps/humidity), first.

As of foods you can try to offer radicchio, kale, endive, romaine lettuce. No fruits, ever.

In the meanwhile you can check this care sheet on Sulcatas care, feeding and such:

I hope, he will be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises won't eat if they can't see the food. So let's worry about getting those eyes open first.

Buy some human baby food strained carrots.Mix it half and half with warm water and soak the baby in it for 45 minutes to an hour. Use a container with tall sides, but a small footprint and set it back inside the enclosure NEAR, but not directly under the light so it stays warm. If you do this faithfully the eyes will be open at the end of the third day.

Then you can worry about the food. Are you offering this baby the same food the previous keeper fed him? If not, he may not recognize it as edible.

FelixMarvin

Torrance
What are the exact temps and humidity you are maintaining? So many say they have the correct temps, but then when questioned further they have the old outdated info.
We need exact temps?, basking, all over, night?
Humidity?
Type of lights and heat you are using, the bulbs etc.
Substrate?
Diet?
How often do you normally soak?
How big is enclosure and is it open top table or closed chamber?
He's in an open box with a roof, and I'm not using a bulb to regulate his temperature because his box is in a room where the temperature ranges from 34 to 36 degrees Celsius. Tomorrow, he opened his eyes when I gave him a soak with warm water. However, today, he's not opening his eyes. I've provided him with lettuce and cucumber to eat.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Optimal temperatures for him are 27-28C. And humidity should be around 80%.
Can you lower the temperature in the room? I'm afraid you are overheating him.

FelixMarvin

Torrance
Optimal temperatures for him are 27-28C. And humidity should be around 80%.
Can you lower the temperature in the room? I'm afraid you are overheating him.
My apologies, I wrote that by mistake. It's 24-26°C, and unfortunately, I don't have any measurements for humidity. I also want to know how often he needs food.

FelixMarvin

Torrance
My apologies, I wrote that by mistake. It's 24-26°C, and unfortunately, I don't have any measurements for humidity. I also want to know how often he needs food.
Today I also gave him a warm water soak; afterward, he opened his eyes and appeared active.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome and thanks for coming here for help with your little tortoise. Please try to do what Yvonne said regarding the eye problem, which is priority. Then follow the instructions regarding the temperatures - very important - and the proper lighting. What type of lights are you using? You should be using a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) for warmth at night, and no lights at all at night. Please tell us the exact conditions in the enclosure, including what substrate you are using, and try to post some pictures of the tortoise, enclosure and lights. Thanks! We really would like to help, and just need the details.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs all over temp of 80-85
Basking temp of 95-100 or he won't eat cause he can't digest the food and insides can't work proper. Night temps also 80-85.
He also needs a uvb light.
Feed him every day a pile that should last him throughout the day.
He needs to be in a closed chamber and 80% humidity

FelixMarvin

Torrance
He needs all over temp of 80-85
Basking temp of 95-100 or he won't eat cause he can't digest the food and insides can't work proper. Night temps also 80-85.
He also needs a uvb light.
Feed him every day a pile that should last him throughout the day.
He needs to be in a closed chamber and 80% humidity
I will take care of humidity and temperature. Yes, of course, I give him sunlight every day for about half an hour. Is it enough?
Hopefully, he will be fine soon. He's active and looks fine, but his eyes and eating problems are concerning.
I also ordered a hygrometer to maintain humidity. Thanks for your suggestions.