NO NUCHAL SCUTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Hey all, I have two young aldabra tortoises that were hatched out in the same clutch in February 2008. Both of them have no nuchal scute. Out of all the tortoises and hatchlings I have ever seen this is a first. Has anyone ever seen this before? The nuchal scute is non-existant. I held these two back for this reason. They are growing very nice and show no signs of any issues, just missing the nuchal scute. Thanks to all. Greg.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
RE: NO NUCAL SCUTE

As quoted in Encyclopedia of Turtles by Peter Pritchard, "Gaymer found that 3 out of 223 Aldabra tortoises examined lacked the nuchal scute". So about 1.34% of the population.

Danny

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
RE: NO NUCAL SCUTE

PeanutbuttER said:
pictures?
Working on it, I am still challenged with the resizing thing.

egyptiandan said:
As quoted in Encyclopedia of Turtles by Peter Pritchard, "Gaymer found that 3 out of 223 Aldabra tortoises examined lacked the nuchal scute".

Danny
OK, WOW, I wonder why? Any idea why?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Just genetic variation in the population. It seems to happen more with island species. Forsten's tortoises on the island of Celebes run about 50/50 on having or not having a nuchal scute.

Danny

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
egyptiandan said:
Just genetic variation in the population. It seems to happen more with island species. Forsten's tortoises on the island of Celebes run about 50/50 on having or not having a nuchal scute.

Danny

Thank you, I need to get that book.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
And once again Danny is a fountain of knowledge :p
Aldabraman, you really need to post more pictures of your Aldabras :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ChiKat said:
And once again Danny is a fountain of knowledge :p
Aldabraman, you really need to post more pictures of your Aldabras :)

Yes he is!

I need to learn how, I will eventually. (I wish we could just hit browse, like the avatar)

Peanutbutter is posting pics.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
SCHWABAMM!

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have two that I got as hatchlings. I'm pretty sure that they are not related. One of them has the nuchal scute and the other doesn't.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Aldabras exhibit some geographical variations, and like Danny said, some are born without nuchals but most are born with them. It's most likely genetics if you ask me.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey ALDABRAMAN use this... http://tinypic.com/yourhome.php it takes care of everything for you. Follow the directions and it will give you a code that you copy and post in your thread and then the picture appears. I guess I am not saying this very well but if I can do it, and I am an idiot most of the time, anyone can do it. It makes posting pictures very easy and we all want to see more pictures of your tortoises...HTH

First you hit browse...then you select your wanted picture, then you hit upload then you copy the code for forums...ta da!!! That's it...easy as pie...
I don't know where that came from as baking pies is hard...but using tiny pix is easy...

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Go to the homepage and you don't even have to sign up.

M

Maggie Cummings

Laura said:
hey... Im trying that link now.. and it wants me to PAY a monthly fee...?!?!?!

I've been using that site for a buncha years and it's never even asked me to sign up, so I must have stared you in the wrong place or something...I'm sorry...that's where I always go to do pictures...I apologize...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
narattah said:
One of my Aldabras does not have a nuchal scute also, but it's as healthy as it can be :)

IMG-20101224-01350.jpg

IMG-20101224-01349.jpg

That is neat, 1.34%er. Dan is a smart guy. Out of all we have hatched out, this was a first. Usually are hatchlings have a big nuchal scute, and every one of our adults have them.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Out of our group of adults, we have one female with no nuchal, and another with a very small one, estimated ages for these girls are minimum 65+

Status
Not open for further replies.