No improvement

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston, Tx
Recap: Tippie ran away for 6 months and came home with a few spots of she'll rot. I tried antifungal cream for a week, which seemed to make things worse. Went to the vet and got some baytril shots.
Anyhow, the baytril shots don't seem to be helping at all, though it doesn't seem to be getting worse. Input? We're going back to the vet tomorrow morning. Hopefully the vet will have a new plan.IMG_20170330_231107.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Why was she given an antibiotic?
Was something found?
Antibiotics will very often slow down or stop eating for a while because it also kills gut flora and the animal can not digest.
I also don't see anything that looks like a shell fungal infection.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
What you can't see in the pics is seepage from the top spots... like a yellowish color seepage. Also, the baytril hasn't seem to affected her eating at all, she's been chowing down more than usual lol Anything you guys think I should suggest for the vet?The baytril obviously isn't doing anything.
I see nothing there that looks anything like shell rot. Sulcatas are extremely resistant to that anyway. I do see a minor abrasion type scrape that is nothing to worry about.
Why was she given an antibiotic?
Was something found?
Antibiotics will very often slow down or stop eating for a while because it also kills gut flora and the animal can not digest.
I also don't see anything that looks like a shell fungal infection.

Meganolvt

Michigan
Tortoises are slow healers, so the fact that it isn't worse is a positive thing. I've seen it take weeks to months to start seeing a difference. Don't let Baytril scare you.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Seepage from the shell isn't a good sign. It also isn't a symptom of shell rot. I would finish the course of baytril and continue consulting with your vet. As was said above, tortoises are slow healers.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
The vet said he notices improvement, especially on her belly. I think I'm just with her too often to see a difference (like weight loss). Anyhow, he suggested another week of baytril and a recheck on the 10th. To make her feel better, we picked up a snack on the way home. IMG_20170331_111257_842.jpg

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
Seepage from the shell isn't a good sign. It also isn't a symptom of shell rot. I would finish the course of baytril and continue consulting with your vet. As was said above, tortoises are slow healers.
Maybe seepage wasn't the word to use. More like a gooey scab... like eye boogers