nipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok, so Stella is literally crawling all over Ally, is edging her away from the food, and took a nip at her face today. What is going on? Jennifer

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
That sounds kind of like the tortoise equivalent of a boy pulling the pigtails of a girl he likes...

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I wonder. So far, people have told me they are too young to sex, but that's what I was thinking too. At least I was hoping this was normal behavior.

RTfanatic said:
That sounds kind of like the tortoise equivalent of a boy pulling the pigtails of a girl he likes...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
This sounds like a dominating behaviuor. Try two feeding stations seperated. One is saying this is my food.

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have tried that. I've even taken them out to feed them at separate times, then when I put them back in I put their dishes on separate sides of their habitat. Stella eats his/hers and then crosses to the other side and that's when I saw the behavior I mentioned. Jennifer

Itort said:
This sounds like a dominating behaviuor. Try two feeding stations seperated. One is saying this is my food.

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Actually they are pretty close in size. Stella the one who was doing the nipping, is a little smaller. Today they ate out of the same bowl and didn't fuss at all. I wonder if that day Ally had food on her face and Stella smelled it and tried to eat it.

ArkansasKelly said:
Are they the same size or is one bigger than the other?

ARKelly

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
bluejen1313 said:
Actually they are pretty close in size. Stella the one who was doing the nipping, is a little smaller. Today they ate out of the same bowl and didn't fuss at all. I wonder if that day Ally had food on her face and Stella smelled it and tried to eat it.

There is probably alot of reasons a tortoise does that. Size difference is normally the #1 reason, that is why I asked.

Maybe Ally ate all the food at one point and Stella was hungry. :p

I wish I could help more but sometimes we are all just dumbfounded.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

ARKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.