Night black heat light?

Darcy&Elizabeth2019

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi my names Nevaeh and I'm new to this tortoise group. Today I got two sulcata tortoise for Christmas. They are 4 months old and the cutest things ever. Right now I am setting up their tank and with came two different lights a day light and a night light. I was wondering if they need the night heat light. Since the kit is for reptiles I didn't know if it should be used for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome
Most of those lights and kits are junk.
It should be dark at night.
Also, read up on this forum about both keeping Sulcata and the hazards of keeping pairs.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If it's not very cold, no.
Although I don't keep Sulcata and I don't know the correct temperature range.

For heat without light, we use CHE
And during the day you need heat and a UV source.

Attachments

• 20191111_173923.jpg
    20191111_173923.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep baby tortoises at 80-85F degrees day and night. My house is cold at night so to maintain the 80-85 F degrees I use a radiant heat panel. This provides heat without light.

Darcy&Elizabeth2019

Georgia
I keep baby tortoises at 80-85F degrees day and night. My house is cold at night so to maintain the 80-85 F degrees I use a radiant heat panel. This provides heat without light.
At this moment I don’t have a heat panel. So at this moment should I use the night light?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings

take a read through this care guide regarding, heat, light, humidity, enclosures, substrates to use, etc. I doubt your house is 80 degrees at least (at night) so you will need to set up your enclosure with day light & heat, and night time heat (ppl usually start with a CHE connected via a thermostat.

All The Info & How To is Here :
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

best of luck.

ps - it’s best to not have two Sullys together. One will soon start to bully the other for food, space, the hide, best place to lay, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At this moment I don’t have a heat panel. So at this moment should I use the night light?
Yes. You should use the black light to keep them warm at night if you have nothing else, but replace it with a better option ASAP.

Give these a read for a more detailed explanation of how to house and care for them. Most of the care info you find for sulcatas is wrong, old out-dated info. We had the wrong idea about this species for decades, and most of the tortoise world has still not caught up.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've bought black incandescent bulbs by the case in the past. I used them for ALL my tortoises at night. And I NEVER had a problem with them. They put off a light similar to moonlight, and they kept the night time temperatures in my enclosures nice and toasty. I'd still be using them if it weren't for the fact my tortoise partner bought me some radiant heat panels. Truth be told, I'm thinking I actually like the heat from the bulbs better than the RHP heat.

Darcy&Elizabeth2019

Georgia
I've bought black incandescent bulbs by the case in the past. I used them for ALL my tortoises at night. And I NEVER had a problem with them. They put off a light similar to moonlight, and they kept the night time temperatures in my enclosures nice and toasty. I'd still be using them if it weren't for the fact my tortoise partner bought me some radiant heat panels. Truth be told, I'm thinking I actually like the heat from the bulbs better than the RHP heat.
Awesome thank you so much.

Darcy&Elizabeth2019

Georgia
Greetings

take a read through this care guide regarding, heat, light, humidity, enclosures, substrates to use, etc. I doubt your house is 80 degrees at least (at night) so you will need to set up your enclosure with day light & heat, and night time heat (ppl usually start with a CHE connected via a thermostat.

All The Info & How To is Here :

best of luck.

ps - it’s best to not have two Sullys together. One will soon start to bully the other for food, space, the hide, best place to lay, etc.
Yeah. I've heard that. Thank you for your help.