Newbie!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Jamie and welcome - with a name like Jones you should be Welsh! Maybe further up the family tree?

You have had some good advice so far here. lets see if I can give you the benefit of my limited experience.
  • A bookcase on its back without shelves and lined with plastic would be a good starting point and you could raise height of it with uprights in the corners and use plexiglass or some people have just used polythene sheets if you look at the enclosures thread. It doesn't have to be expensive.
  • I use MVB for light, heat and UV rays ( all in one bulb) in the day, and a CHE on a thermostat for night temps as torts need darkness to sleep.
  • Coloured bulbs can upset them and distort (no pun intended) their vision. Coil type bulbs are regarded as dangerous and can cause eye probs and blindness. Hanging bulbs is safer than side clamps.
  • 'The Range' shops are slightly cheaper than places like Pets at Home for some things so shop around.
  • Water dishes only need to be inexpensive shallow terracotta plant saucers but nothing too steep sided as your baby could tip backwards and drown. Slates are good for feeding on (heart shaped in the Range £2 ish)
  • A temp gun is easier to use than thermometers for measuring temps in diff areas of your enclosures mine cost about £9 on Amazon, you will also need a humidity meter to keep an eye on that.
Hope that helps a little too. There is fantastic advice available here which should keep your baby happy and healthy for the rest of your life!

JamboJones

Hi Jamie and welcome - with a name like Jones you should be Welsh! Maybe further up the family tree?

You have had some good advice so far here. lets see if I can give you the benefit of my limited experience.
  • A bookcase on its back without shelves and lined with plastic would be a good starting point and you could raise height of it with uprights in the corners and use plexiglass or some people have just used polythene sheets if you look at the enclosures thread. It doesn't have to be expensive.
  • I use MVB for light, heat and UV rays ( all in one bulb) in the day, and a CHE on a thermostat for night temps as torts need darkness to sleep.
  • Coloured bulbs can upset them and distort (no pun intended) their vision. Coil type bulbs are regarded as dangerous and can cause eye probs and blindness. Hanging bulbs is safer than side clamps.
  • 'The Range' shops are slightly cheaper than places like Pets at Home for some things so shop around.
  • Water dishes only need to be inexpensive shallow terracotta plant saucers but nothing too steep sided as your baby could tip backwards and drown. Slates are good for feeding on (heart shaped in the Range £2 ish)
  • A temp gun is easier to use than thermometers for measuring temps in diff areas of your enclosures mine cost about £9 on Amazon, you will also need a humidity meter to keep an eye on that.
Hope that helps a little too. There is fantastic advice available here which should keep your baby happy and healthy for the rest of your life!
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of Welsh! I'm a mix of Irish and Scottish so Welsh could be there somewhere ^_^

The MVB lights and such.. Where did you get them?:)

The water container I have is like.. An artificial rock ridge that dips to container, they aren't big rocks but if they prove to be a nuiscance then I'll get a little plant dish, yeah :)

Thanks for posting!:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of Welsh! I'm a mix of Irish and Scottish so Welsh could be there somewhere ^_^

The MVB lights and such.. Where did you get them?:)

The water container I have is like.. An artificial rock ridge that dips to container, they aren't big rocks but if they prove to be a nuiscance then I'll get a little plant dish, yeah :)

Thanks for posting!:)
You're welcome, I rescued a tort with no knowledge at all and had no idea of the cost or equipment needed, so glad to help.
The MVB was from Pets at Home £39 approx.- 80 watt Arcadia mini D3.
The 2 lamp holders/reflectors (shades) approx. £25 each from The Range They have porcelain bulb holders which are safer and don't over heat. The deep type shades can cause bulbs to overheat and burn out.
The CHE - £21ish Range can't remember wattage of that at mo.
The thermostat - £35 - Range Think the Range stuff are all made by Komodo

You may get some things cheaper on internet so have look at different sites.

It's not cheap setting up and the MVB need to be replaced about 6 - 12 months as UVs fade I am going to invest in a UV meter so I can see when they start to drop.

When it is warm enough for your tort to spend some time in sun you may be ok with a basking bulb indoors (approx.£7 Range) but they do need UVA/B rays that is vital! Especially with our weather and over winter.
(Not sure what outside temps or recommended sun UV time per week would be for babies )

I think I would just use a flat saucer for your baby for a while and sink it level with substrate surface so it can get in and out ok. Better safe than sorry where water and baby torts are concerned.

JamboJones

Oh you rescued a tortoise? That's so cool!:D

Yeahh from what I've saw the setup is pretty expensive :)

I'd probably be too nervous to take the little tortoise outside at first so they won't be outside too much as a baby :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh you rescued a tortoise? That's so cool!:D

Yeahh from what I've saw the setup is pretty expensive :)

I'd probably be too nervous to take the little tortoise outside at first so they won't be outside too much as a baby :)
maybe if you have a sheltered spot on a hot day (?) he'd be OK some people use dry paddling pools for little ones to take them out.

JamboJones

Oh yeahh there are sheltered spots, despite the garden being a sun trap :) Yeahh! I Could easily get a paddling pool if it was better for the tortoise :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh yeahh there are sheltered spots, despite the garden being a sun trap :) Yeahh! I Could easily get a paddling pool if it was better for the tortoise :)
Just think its a safe spot he can't get out of to save you chasing him around the garden! make sure there's some shelter in it and ideally sit and watch him. I don't think they need to be out for hours to benefit from the uva/b rays.

JamboJones

Just think its a safe spot he can't get out of to save you chasing him around the garden! make sure there's some shelter in it and ideally sit and watch him. I don't think they need to be out for hours to benefit from the uva/b rays.
Oh yeahh he won't be out my site haha, your advice has been very helpful, thank you!:)