Newbie here :) need help with lighting

Chloe2003

I went to purchase all my lighting and other needs to be prepared for my new sulcata. I got such conflicting advice from several employees at the store. I'm pretty sure I bought stuff I do not need. Can you please tell me exactly what bulbs I need. My hubby is building me a tort table but for the next month he will be housed in a spare 30 gallon tank. Yes I know that's wrong but my hubby works 6 days a week so it can't be done over night. My baby will arrive Tuesday and I want to have everything I need. Also is there a website that's cheaper than my local petsmsrt? I can ordered everything I need today and pay overnight and get here Tuesday. Thanks again for your help. Oh my baby is right at 3 mths old. He's only been on pellet food and I've been reading a lot about adding greens so please just give any help. It will be greatly appreciated.

shelley11

When you get it feed it lots of weeds the best thing you can give them is weeds and veg. And don't forget the tort you are getting grows very big! What you will need is a UVB strip/bulb to give it vital D3 you will also need a heat lamp to keep it warm especially as it's a baby and lastly you will need a basking bulb so it can relax and be warm but with all this you can't scatter them all over the tortoise table you need put them all at one end so that it can have a cool end as well as a warm. Lastly you need an outside enclosure for it because torts are outside creatures and it's not fair to keep them inside for the rest of their life but because it's a baby you should only put it outside when it's warm plus you will have to stay with it at all times because it's so small a predator could easy take and kill it! Hope this helped

shelley11

And also this place might be cheaper to by this stuff and has really quick delivery: Northampton reptile centre

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, Chloe, and welcome to the forum!

Lightyourreptiles.com is pretty reasonable on bulbs, but you're better off buying the fixtures at a home improvement store.

I like the Mercury Vapor bulb because it provides the needed UVB and heat in the same bulb. DO NOT buy the curly shaped compact fluorescent bulb. They burn baby tortoise's eyes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Chloe. Things have changed a lot in the last few years. I've been doing growth and health research on them since 2008. These links contain what I've learned and how they should be cared for. I've raised hundreds of them using these methods and thousands of other people all over the world are now using these methods too. Sadly, most of the breeders have not caught up yet.

So read this one first to make sure you get your tortoise from the right source:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Then read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Have your hubby hold off on the table. Open tables are no good for baby sulcatas unless the room you keep it in is warm and humid 24/7. Its all explained in the care sheets.

Chloe2003

Yvonne so if I get the Mercury vapor bulb I don't need a basking bulb also? I am getting ready to do my order and I have the ceramic heat emitter I plan my n using this at night. Do I need it during the day too? I also saw that I need a wire cage clamp fixture for the CHE is that right? I appreciate all the help and advice.
Tom thank you for all the links. I'm so glad I found this group. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The MVB is the basking light. It is heat and UVB. Put the CHE on a thermostat to hold minimum temps day and night.

Chloe2003

The MVB is the basking light. It is heat and UVB. Put the CHE on a thermostat to hold minimum temps day and night.

Thank you :) do I need the special wire clamp light for the CHE or is a regular fixture ok? This is what the site said I need for the CHE. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422762705.261628.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thank you :) do I need the special wire clamp light for the CHE or is a regular fixture ok? This is what the site said I need for the CHE. View attachment 116625
This is best. I admit I use the regular ones and take off the shield. I do burn myself occasionally though. They get very hot. That is why you need to put it on a thermostat, to make sure your enclosure doesn't get too hot.

Chloe2003

I have looked all over the site for a thermostat but I can't find one. I might be looking in the wrong place but I'm having no luck