Newbie from Sacramento

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloresGurl

5 Year Member
Hello! I was just recently given a Sulcata Tortoise and I don't know too much about taking care of such a tortoise. But I am determine to read all I can to make sure I provide the best care. Based on the info I have read about sulcata tortoise, I believe mine is a female so I am calling her Lucy.
Lucy is as big as my palm. I'm not quite sure how old mybe 4-5 months old. Okay my first few questions:

I built a 2x4 box I thought it was big enough for Lucy to roam indoors but all she does is climb the corners, what can I do about this?

I filled the box with eco-earth loose coconut fiber substrate, but am I suppose to add something else like organic topsoil? and am I suppose to keep this damp at all times? so like am I suppose to spray the substrate with water?

Please educate me on this stuff. Thank You

Attachments

• WP_20130913_004.jpg
    WP_20130913_004.jpg
    749 KB · Views: 24

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

From the looks of the tortoise in the picture, I'd say it's more like about 2 years old. Whoever raised her/him has done a very nice job of it. The tortoise looks great.

You usually can't tell the sex until they get to be about 6 or 8 years old...at any rate, quite a bit bigger than it is now.

I like to keep the substrate slightly moist underneath, but dry on top. And my favorite substrate is orchid bark.

2'x4' might not be big enough for a tortoise of that size. It really should be living outside during the day and brought indoors at night time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I agree with Yvonne. Your tort is probably trying to climb out because the size enclosure is way too small. If you can get him/her outside for the day time, then the small enclosure will be fine for night time sleeping.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
Welcome Flores, I am from Sacramento as well and have two young Sulcata tortoises. Just a heads up the Sacramento Reptile expo is in two weeks on the 28th and 29th of Sept. If there is anything you wanted to buy or look into that isn't needed right away I would highly advise waiting since you can get items for your tortoise enclosure half off or better sometimes.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome from another Sacramento keeper. If you have questions about local keeping I would be happy to help. Your baby is to young to sex. And your enclosure is going to be way to small very quickly. Climbing out is pretty common with some species. Capping off the corners is the first thing to do. Lucy is young enough to benefit from a closed chamber and being kept humid. This species does not brumate during the qinter and is prone to pyramiding. Search the forum for Toms threads on raising his Sulcatas hot and humid. You can also search for closed chamber ideas. Will has a few that are very economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.