Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinoyfisher

5 Year Member
Quick bio
Name: Mike

Profession: Biotechnician (stem cells)

Interests: Fishing (deep-sea, spearfishing, surf fishing), wildlife

I don't currently own reptiles of any type, but have always loved tortoises and trutles. I do have a few aquariums going with some Austrailian red claw crays and convict cichlids.

Trying to get educated 1st before I take the plunge and get a tortoise. So, a few questions...

What's a great beginner tortoise? Major concerns about owning one? Would eventually like to have a breding pair. Keeping them outdoors a no-no?

Looking forward to some feedback. Thanks!!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Welcome fellow socalian! I got my Bachelor's in biology, worked in a lab of molecular genetics on X-Linked diseases.

Do you have a backyard or an apartment? that will help determine the type and size of turtle or tortoise you should get.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike:

Welcome to the forum!!

I like the Russian as a beginner tortoise. Box turtles are also very forgiving of poor care whilst the care-giver is learning.

Both of these animals are small and fit well into your lifestyle. The box turtle requires a more forest-like habitat with lots of plantings and more water. The Russian likes a drier habitat with open space for "marching."

I had to chuckle at your last statement about having them outside. I'm always telling people that tortoises are wild animals and as such need to be kept outside. The sun (real sun, not lighting) really does wonders for a tortoise's physical AND mental well-being.

While you're doing your research, include the redfoot tortoise. Its a popular tortoise too.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Hi and Welcome! I am newer to the site as well and love it.

As for recommenations.. I think russians are a great beginer tort and they are smaller and pretty easy to keep up.

As for the outdoors thing..its also going to depends on where you stay in house or apt? and what the climate is like...

People have great knowledge and ideas on here. So keep reading yout postings.

Welcome I know you will enjoy :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
welcome to the forum, always nice to meet another socal member

Pinoyfisher

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Mike:

Welcome to the forum!!

I like the Russian as a beginner tortoise. Box turtles are also very forgiving of poor care whilst the care-giver is learning.

Both of these animals are small and fit well into your lifestyle. The box turtle requires a more forest-like habitat with lots of plantings and more water. The Russian likes a drier habitat with open space for "marching."

I had to chuckle at your last statement about having them outside. I'm always telling people that tortoises are wild animals and as such need to be kept outside. The sun (real sun, not lighting) really does wonders for a tortoise's physical AND mental well-being.

While you're doing your research, include the redfoot tortoise. Its a popular tortoise too.

I am an homeowner with a decent sized backyard. I am concerned about keeping one outdoors because I am located right next to a canyon and was worried about the wild critters making a meal out of my new/future pet.

I did see a listing for a box turtle on craigslist which is the reason I am on this site now. So, what species exactly is a box turtle? And what is too much when it comes to spending on a tortoise?

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! I look forward to contributing to this site.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Welcome! I just joined also, I rescued an Ornate Box, he has tons of personality, responds to my voice, chases the dog, he is a hoot. He is super mad at me right now, as I am trying to get him to hibernate, and I have cut back on his food. He stares me down and gives me turtle stink eye. Good luck making your choice, sometimes they find you!
:) Mary Anne

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Most torts will do well outside you just have to build the proper enclosure for your species, their age and your area. And make sure they have an appropriate heated shelter.

I have a new favorite beginner tortoise. The South African subspecies of the Leopard tortoise. NOT the normal leopard(babcock), but the other, less common one, Geochelone pardalis pardalis. They have all the personality and charm of a sulcata (and that's saying a lot), without all the major drawbacks like digging, huge size, fighting, destructiveness, wall bashing, etc... They are one of the most beautiful tortoises there is, at every age too. Further, they are pretty well suited to the climate down there in SD as its pretty similar to where they come from in SA. They tolerate cold and damp very well as adults, where most torts do not. On top of all that, they are also very hardy. Also, since they are all captive bred, the parasites and other nasties that come with wild caught imports really aren't much of a concern.

Anyhow, I hope we can all help you find what you are looking for.

Pinoyfisher

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. Most torts will do well outside you just have to build the proper enclosure for your species, their age and your area. And make sure they have an appropriate heated shelter.

I have a new favorite beginner tortoise. The South African subspecies of the Leopard tortoise. NOT the normal leopard(babcock), but the other, less common one, Geochelone pardalis pardalis. They have all the personality and charm of a sulcata (and that's saying a lot), without all the major drawbacks like digging, huge size, fighting, destructiveness, wall bashing, etc... They are one of the most beautiful tortoises there is, at every age too. Further, they are pretty well suited to the climate down there in SD as its pretty similar to where they come from in SA. They tolerate cold and damp very well as adults, where most torts do not. On top of all that, they are also very hardy. Also, since they are all captive bred, the parasites and other nasties that come with wild caught imports really aren't much of a concern.

Anyhow, I hope we can all help you find what you are looking for.

Wow, thanks for all the info!! Desperately want one, but finding it hard to pull the trigger now that I am a new daddy of twin boys. My current pets have really been neglected because of the lack of time I now have. I don't want to perpetuate the cycle by getting a tortoise, even though they are really cool and cute!

I think I'll just continue to do my research and wait for my boys to reach 6mos (I'm told it gets easier at that age:p) + I need to break down my aquariums and get them to a new owner who has time for them. BUT, if an opportunity arises that I just can't pass up, I may just do it!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome Mike! It's funny to see how many of these WELCOMES come from SoCal members:p! I worked at San Diego Zoo for a few years...and am quite familiar with those canyons...from Escondido to Lakeside to Torrey Pines (and most of the ones in between). Maybe you would consider a rescue...possibly a medium-to-large sulcata (still the best-tempered tort;)). Anyway, you couldn't have joined up with a better group of people...Good luck on your journey!

Tom said:

Tom...I'm starting to feel a little swayed...might have to come visit the little ones again...SOON!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.