New tortoise wanted! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisekid123

5 Year Member
I live in western Washington and am probably getting a tortoise in May! The climate isn't very humid, warm in summer and cold in winter. I really want a cherry headed Red footed tortoise. But ive been researching and it says they need to stay humid. Also I like their size. I have a huge yard and can go outside with them and have them graze, all planted grass and no pesticides or insecticides. But with my climate I was confused if I should possibly get a Russian. Please help and make this an easier decision! Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tortoisekid123, and welcome to the Forum!

If you want a redfooted tortoise, then get one. You can make it work. But please think about sectioning off a portion of the yard for the tortoise instead of allowing it the whole yard where you have to supervise. In a nice-sized pen, planted with edible plants and bushes, you can put the tortoise out and not have to watch it.

There is a lot of good redfoot tortoise reading here in the Tortoise Library

abclements

5 Year Member
Hey Tortoisekid! I too live in Western WA! I'm in Kent but go to school in Pullman. But Franklin (my Cherry) comes home with me during breaks and I have to deal with the Western WA weather lol If you want a baby it makes it a little easier because he can be easily housed inside nicely during the winter and cold weather. As he gets older and larger, housing indoors will become more of a problem. But if you're dedicated and have a plan to be able to fit (at a minimum) an 8' by 4' enclosure inside when he is full grown, a cherry is perfect! Plus, I think they are really awesome! :)

tortoisekid123

5 Year Member
Yes that will definitely fit and I'm extremely excited! Haha I think they are one of the coolest!
Thanks though!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.