New Tortoise owner

JasmineJ

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi Everyone

Our family recently purchased a tortoise (Hermann I think?) from Petsmart - poor little love had been there for 6 months! His enclosure didn’t look to great - just a red lamp and very dark and no space other than under a big log. I’ve had him for 3 days (we adore him) and he has been feasting on fresh greens (all the tortoise favorites) and basking under his 2 lamps. He seems much happier- he’s very alert and active which is why he’s called ‘Flash’. I do have concerns about his shell - given his 6 months in what seems a dull environment he seems to have white spots on his shell (see picture) I’ve been reading about all the shell issues on the web - it’s not moist or appears to have fungus but I want you all to take a look and any recommendations would be appreciated. I am thinking E05F6D14-2F9D-441D-901C-6440DC7057EA.jpegsome TLC and dandelion greens to help with his calcium might be a good idea? :)
874A6269-BA82-431B-A481-7DDF083D0ABC.jpeg

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello and welcome!
I’m not sure about the spots, but that is a Russian tortoise.

Pfab

Minnesota
Hi. I also purchased my Russian tortoise from Petco ( and it seems that I have made every beginner mistake possible). My little Hercules (Herc) has a spot like that on his shell. I thought his shell had been cracked/chipped there. I attached a picture so you could compare. I’m glad Flash is well and getting lots of love.

Attachments

• CB87EF38-2B73-4676-83ED-E777D3D4F2E4.jpeg
    CB87EF38-2B73-4676-83ED-E777D3D4F2E4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

JasmineJ

Texas
Hi. I also purchased my Russian tortoise from Petco ( and it seems that I have made every beginner mistake possible). My little Hercules (Herc) has a spot like that on his shell. I thought his shell had been cracked/chipped there. I attached a picture so you could compare. I’m glad Flash is well and getting lots of love.
Thank you it looks very similar - I am hoping it will look better in a few weeks (maybe it might take months) after some TLC. How long have you had Herc? Great name!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
These tortoises from PetSmart and Petco are wild caught. The spots are probably wear and tear from their years in the wild. Nothing to do for them.

Someone else will come along and we'll see what they say.

Charlie's pal

Atlanta, GA
I bought a Russian from Petsmart and he has several chipped marginal scutes and what looks like a healed crack in one of his larger scutes. As KarenSoCal said, "probably wear and and tear from their years in the wild". It bothers me that I supported a store that sells wild caught tortoises but they tell you they get them from breeders. Being a novice, I didn't have reason to doubt them. The good news is that I am trying to give him a good home (learned so much from this forum) and I really enjoy taking care of him. He's a scrappy little guy. Flash is probably so relieved to be out of that tiny aquarium at the pet store and eating good food. Have fun with him and welcome to the forum!!

JasmineJ

Texas
I bought a Russian from Petsmart and he has several chipped marginal scutes and what looks like a healed crack in one of his larger scutes. As KarenSoCal said, "probably wear and and tear from their years in the wild". It bothers me that I supported a store that sells wild caught tortoises but they tell you they get them from breeders. Being a novice, I didn't have reason to doubt them. The good news is that I am trying to give him a good home (learned so much from this forum) and I really enjoy taking care of him. He's a scrappy little guy. Flash is probably so relieved to be out of that tiny aquarium at the pet store and eating good food. Have fun with him and welcome to the forum!!
I feel exactly the same...had I have known I would think twice about supporting a pet store and it process of obtaining these animals. However I am glad I found him and able to give him the attention he needs with a loving family to match.

Pfab

Minnesota
Thank you it looks very similar - I am hoping it will look better in a few weeks (maybe it might take months) after some TLC. How long have you had Herc? Great name!
Herc was purchased Easter weekend on Saturday April 11, 2020 in Minnesota.