New Tortoise owner

nicole evalle

Hi!

I'm new on here. Today I purchased my new Hatchling Leopard Tortoise. I have no idea what his behavior should be. Currently, he will not really walking, but will come in and out of his shell (it's been half an hour since I brought him home). I hear some squeaky noises? I sprayed some water into the habitat and it got on his shell, I heard its good for shell growth. He was the biggest of the batch, and I got him from a reputable reptile breeder, he was very active and "ran" around. I'm scared as to why he's not walking? Is it possible that he's scared of loose substrate (Coconut fiber) he was raised in what seems to be solid tile (It might be silly for me to think this).

What should I be expecting? What should I do? (I've read Sooo much online for 3 months prior, but I still feel like Im missing some things)

Thank you guys!

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
He'll be stressed, scared - new environment.

I'd just make sure his enclosure provides the proper conditions (humidity, lighting), put food and water out...and leave him alone for a couple of days.

Just do checks - you'll see when he gets confident, hungry, thirsty...etc.

The only thing I might do before that, is give him a 15 minute soak. That way you'll know he had the opportunity to drink or otherwise get water.

nicole evalle

He'll be stressed, scared - new environment.

I'd just make sure his enclosure provides the proper conditions (humidity, lighting), put food and water out...and leave him alone for a couple of days.

Just do checks - you'll see when he gets confident, hungry, thirsty...etc.

The only thing I might do before that, is give him a 15 minute soak. That way you'll know he had the opportunity to drink or otherwise get water.

Thank you! I put some grape leaves and dandy lion, they are both from my yard, is that safe? also some mustard greens

Rue

Canada
Yes, they'll be safe as long as they haven't been sprayed with a pesticide (herbicide, insecticide, fungicide, etc.) recently.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should give him a warm water soaking every day and twice a day is better and that should start now, not waiting. Read the links Yvonne gave you and follow them, they are filled with great and correct info.

Rue

Canada
You should give him a warm water soaking every day and twice a day is better and that should start now, not waiting...

Why twice a day? If the animal is hydrated from the initial soaking and has access to water why not back off a little to let them adjust?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why twice a day? If the animal is hydrated from the initial soaking and has access to water why not back off a little to let them adjust?
Because for hatchlings, specially if you don't know how they were hatched or cared for before you got them (hot and dry probably) it's better to soak twice a day. They can dehydrate fast. It doesn't hurt them, and it's what I have learned and done since joining the forum. Why not? I gave/give one day for my torts to settle in and adjust to its new home and to be left alone. then the daily routine begins.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!:tort:

Don't worry, don't panic: torts take time and a lot of time to adapt to a new environment, place, enclosure, owner, and the rest. He'll get used to it eventually. Please post pictures of your tort and his enclosure.;) I agree with Wellington as far as soaks are concerned: I for one live in Jordan where the climate is extremely dry. Therefore, I give Oli :<3: 2-3 soaks a day during Summer.:) It won't harm him.;)

von345

Put black paper up on 3 sides so is not so overwelmed. Soak him feed/water him using the same schedule each day eventually he will see you as a food source and come up to you. But for now leave him alone