New Torti mom needs advice

Bekki2782

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
Hello all! I'm new here and I just got a 40lb 2.5 foot africian spurred. Hes been badly mistreated (I do not believe intentionally though). His shell isnt right and hes already been the vet and received loads of medications in clinic and sent home as well as fluids to rehydrate his poor dehydrated little body. Hes been fed incorrectly most of his life I'm told by the vet and has severe URI, like bad!
My question is, I have the diet down now (hay and grass and occasional other safe yummies on the safe yummy list) but how's my yard for his house? He has access to the whole yard which has been tortoise proofed (I think) with bricks on both sides and railroad ties dug underneath along the fence. I made him a dug out which he is redecorating to his liking. He has grass and dirt and gravel, whichever he chooses to enjoy.
How's that sound?
Look at this poor guys shell :( I'll get him right dont worry. I've only had him 24 hours and we've already fallen in love (and spent a small fortune at the vet). Worth every penny x 10.
What else can I do to make him happy? Make my yard safe? There are NO unsafe plants I'm told in my yard. Just hibiscus and some Rose's. That ok?
Help me guys, he was a rescue of sorts but I badly wanted him too. I want to be the best torti mom I can be.

20200412_153135.jpg

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Hello all! I'm new here and I just got a 40lb 2.5 foot africian spurred. Hes been badly mistreated (I do not believe intentionally though). His shell isnt right and hes already been the vet and received loads of medications in clinic and sent home as well as fluids to rehydrate his poor dehydrated little body. Hes been fed incorrectly most of his life I'm told by the vet and has severe URI, like bad!
My question is, I have the diet down now (hay and grass and occasional other safe yummies on the safe yummy list) but how's my yard for his house? He has access to the whole yard which has been tortoise proofed (I think) with bricks on both sides and railroad ties dug underneath along the fence. I made him a dug out which he is redecorating to his liking. He has grass and dirt and gravel, whichever he chooses to enjoy.
How's that sound?
Look at this poor guys shell :( I'll get him right dont worry. I've only had him 24 hours and we've already fallen in love (and spent a small fortune at the vet). Worth every penny x 10.
What else can I do to make him happy? Make my yard safe? There are NO unsafe plants I'm told in my yard. Just hibiscus and some Rose's. That ok?
Help me guys, he was a rescue of sorts but I badly wanted him too. I want to be the best torti mom I can be.
seems you have it under control, feed also (sometimes) lettuce for water content.

Bekki2782

Tucson
i don’t think you will, i some ways it’s easier to care for older tortoises, but also it’s challenging caring for a Huge tortoise. just keep him/her hydrated.
Exactly! The vet said he was dehydrated today. He got fluids but I was also instructed to soak him. Poor baby hes too sweet to be sick :(

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Exactly! The vet said he was dehydrated today. He got fluids but I was also instructed to soak him. Poor baby hes too sweet to be sick :(
give him Lettuce or something with high water content and soak him, seems to be hard due to his size. you might wanna consider buying a Kiddie Pool about $15 here. cucumber, lettuce, ect. try not to feed Fruits. get him/her some shade and a water bowl. soak him ever day. or every other day. i hope more experienced members come by.

Bekki2782

Tucson
Thank you! I have been dosing him he fits in my bathtub, barely lol. But I did buy him a pool yesterday so I dont have to clean my tub everyday. Which ofcourse I dont mind but this is way easier. Does the water need to be warm?

QUOTE="iAmCentrochelys sulcata, post: 1811788, member: 117612"]
give him Lettuce or something with high water content and soak him, seems to be hard due to his size. you might wanna consider buying a Kiddie Pool about $15 here. cucumber, lettuce, ect. try not to feed Fruits. get him/her some shade and a water bowl. soak him ever day. or every other day. i hope more experienced members come by.
[/QUOTE]

Bekki2782

Tucson
would you mind posting the enclosure for your tortoise?
Well it's not really an enclosure so to speak, it's just my whole yard. But yes I'll get pics of the sides we reinforced and see what you guys think when I get home from work. Hes much improved and even is eating again thank goodness. He feels like a new man after just a few days if meds. Cant wait to see how good he feels after the whole course of antibiotics are done!
Hes decided my laundry room is where to sleep. We have a small room off the house and he claimed it. I hope that's ok. I put a heat bulb in the light socket and the room was warm but not too warm. Felt nice in there for him. I dug him a hideout but he prefers the laundry room lol. Whatever he wants I'll give him.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Well it's not really an enclosure so to speak, it's just my whole yard. But yes I'll get pics of the sides we reinforced and see what you guys think when I get home from work. Hes much improved and even is eating again thank goodness. He feels like a new man after just a few days if meds. Cant wait to see how good he feels after the whole course of antibiotics are done!
Hes decided my laundry room is where to sleep. We have a small room off the house and he claimed it. I hope that's ok. I put a heat bulb in the light socket and the room was warm but not too warm. Felt nice in there for him. I dug him a hideout but he prefers the laundry room lol. Whatever he wants I'll give him.
it’s not advised that you keep a tortoise that big in your house due to many reason

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your yard looks like a great place for a sulcata. For a waterer for mine I took the top of a garbage toter and sunk it down into the ground a bit:

Dudley's waterer 3-12-14.jpg

It would be better to be bigger, but it WAS bigger when I first put it there.

Here's Dudley's yard:

Dudley's Yard 3-10-14.jpgDudley's yard 4-25-16.jpg

And here's Dudley's warm house for when it's too cold to be outside:

Dudley's Rebuild 01-31-15 b.jpgDudley's Rebuild 01-31-15 d.jpgDudley's Rebuild 01-31-15 e.jpgDudley's Rebuild 2-1-15 a.jpgDudley's rebuild 2-1-15 c.jpgDudley's rebuild 2-1-15 e.jpg

I have since moved the pig blanket off the wall and onto the floor. Works better that way.