New to torts, enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

justnoskill

5 Year Member
Well this is my first tortoise in my first tortoise enclosure. I now have plexiglass over 2/3 of the top (not under the lamps) to hopefully keep the humidity higher.

Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated. I know there is lots of room for improvement but it's a start.

*edit*
She does have a hide, it's a flower/garden pot nestled in the moss, in case it's hard to distinguish.

Attachments

• 0312111623.jpg
    0312111623.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 88

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Nice! I'm sure someone with redfoots will love to give you some redfoot-specific feedback. The more hides the better...although a pile of moss can be a hide, I'd put something on the other side too. It is easier for a tort to eat off of something like a slate tile (which also wears down the beak and nails) than out of a bowl. How are the temperature and humidity readings? Does she navigate the lip of the water dish well? Is that deep enough to go up to where the plastron and carapace meet? Do you have a good thermometer like a temp gun? Using lamp stands will give you more control over temperatures are you can raise and lower the bulbs...those clamp lamps scare me and I don't think they provide many options as far as temps (there is only so much you can angle them back and forth). If by chance you are using a MVB (which I don't think would be recommended for a redfoot as they are high light and UVB), those need to have the bulb face parallel to the substrate to avoid damage to the bulb and the tort's eyes. Good luck and congrats on the new addition.

justnoskill

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. I added a hide on the other side, and a slate for her food. Temps are 72-75 on the cool side, and 85 on the warm side. Humidity on the cool side is at 90% or higher thanks to some plexiglass over the top. And yes, I do also have a temp gun. And I have 2 separate bulbs- 1 uvb and 1 basking or spot bulb. She can get into and out of the water dish fine, I dug it down into the sub a little more anyways though.

And I'm going to be looking into adding plants once the garden centers around here open up for spring. Thinking about growing my own to avoid pesticides, fertilizers, and whatever else is in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.