New to the red foot tortoise world

micromental

Location (City and/or State)
West Yorkshire
So a little update I have just got back from the local pets at home and got all this for JJ B1423B4D-8D4E-4CC6-9AE5-4199AB2D4848.jpeg
2x dishes 1 for food 1 for water
1 bag of forest bark
1 Cali dust
1 tub of tortoise food to try out
1 tortoise block

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So a little update I have just got back from the local pets at home and got all this for JJ View attachment 337800
2x dishes 1 for food 1 for water
1 bag of forest bark
1 Cali dust
1 tub of tortoise food to try out
1 tortoise block
Take the food dishes back - the sides are too steep and can be a tipping/drowning hazard for little torts who don't bend. So save yourself some money.
Cheap terracotta plant saucers are ideal and safer for water dishes. If you sink them level with the substrate it makes them easier to access and exit. A piece of slate is good for food because you don't want him climbing into and possibly soiling his food.
I don't know if the pellets are suitable because they are for European torts and their diet is different to South American redfoots. I think @ZEROPILOT has given you a good diet list and can tell you more about pellets. Fresh is always best.
Only a tiny pinch of calcium a couple of times a week is needed.

micromental

West Yorkshire
Take the food dishes back - the sides are too steep and can be a tipping/drowning hazard for little torts who don't bend. So save yourself some money.
Cheap terracotta plant saucers are ideal and safer for water dishes. If you sink them level with the substrate it makes them easier to access and exit. A piece of slate is good for food because you don't want him climbing into and possibly soiling his food.
I don't know if the pellets are suitable because they are for European torts and their diet is different to South American redfoots. I think @ZEROPILOT has given you a good diet list and can tell you more about pellets. Fresh is always best.
To late JJ is eating I wouldn’t take them back anyways I’d keep them for future reptiles
4E3FEEA6-BE0D-4C7A-91B5-454FCA86D6A3.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Those pellets may or may not be very nutritional. I simply don't know.
I'd go ahead and feed a few pellets every now and then until the container is empty.
And by then you probably would've found something more appropriate for a Redfoot.
That substrate looks good. What @Lyn W said about those bowls is true. And that calcium block will turn into a melted, mold covered pile of goo if it gets wet. And your tortoise will likely ignore it like the plague.
See if you can get a refund on that one.

Last edited:

micromental

West Yorkshire
Those pellets may or may not be very nutritional. I simply don't know.
I'd go ahead and feed a few pellets every now and then until the container is empty.
And by then you probably would've found something more appropriate for a Redfoot.
That substrate looks good. What @Lyn W said about those bowls is true. And that calcium block will turn into a melted, mold covered pile of goo if it gets wet. And your tortoise will likely ignore it like the plague.
See if you can get a refund on that one.
I see where you are coming from altho being in the uk, iv noticed a lot of the more recommended foods seem to be from the USA and postage is more than what the product is worth Humm anyone ever made there own pellets might give that a go if possible