New to the forum..few questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leek3

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and I just want to ask your opinions about my tortoises...

One of my tortoises seemed to have a runny nose a few weeks back that seems to have improved recently do i still need to take it too the vets? 

Also does anyone know if there is a uv light that can act as a heat (basking) light also. Or do i need to use two different ones? The heat currently is normally about 70oc is this warm enough? Thankyou

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

What kind of tortoises do you have?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If the animal only had a runny nose and is now acting totally fine, I would not be taking it to the Vet right now. I would be watching it closely. Yes, there is one light that does both, but are you needing heat at night also?

... and welcome!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D. Before we can give help, please let us know what kind of tortoise, age of tort, substrate your using and where you live, state. Also, the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) gives the best uv besides the sun and it gets hot. However you should use a Che (ceramic heat emitter) for night time.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
If your tort starts to act very different go to a vet, or unless you want to take him to be safe. UV lights do come with heat, check out the power sun UV. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi leek3:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

leek3

5 Year Member
I am from the uk. My tortoises are horsefields and are only young but unsure of their age. I use a substrate of top soil and sand and currently use a uv light during the day which i have been told creates heat also. I am unsure what temperature is warm enough during the day? Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.