New to Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankie

5 Year Member
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and looking forward to interacting with other Tortoise Lovers!

My darling Sam came out of Hibernation today - Feb 23rd! It's a bit early but it was 75 deg. outside and a beautiful day. Always glad to see her when she comes out of her den.

We live in Livermore, CA. My Name is Frankie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Frankie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Nice looking desert tortoise.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
my guy made an appearnace by himslef yesterday too..
welcome!
I want to see more pic of your enclosure! what i see looks cool.. doe he hibernate outside in the burrow? what is is made of?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* I agree, I really want to see the rest of your enclosure! :D How long have you had Sam?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome! I am about 40 min away from you, in modesto. Nice tortoise!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Laura said:
welcome!
I want to see more pic of your enclosure! what i see looks cool.. doe he hibernate outside in the burrow? what is is made of?

I agree Laura!!
This looks like an AWSOME enclosure!!! :D:D

frankie

5 Year Member
Laura said:
welcome!

Hi Laura,

I'm sending more photos of Sams' home. Sam has been hibernating and living outside all year for about 6-7 years now. (She is 13 so so years, maybe as old as 15. I've had here since she was a hatchling. I've rebuilt , outside, her den three times since then, as she grows (I think Sam is a Samantha...).

I cannot dig a deep borrow in my yard and the soil here is not like it would be in the desert. It would likely collapse on her if she dug her own. So, I don't want her to dig further so the bottom is bricks. An upside down plastic bin (cat box...) on top of that with a hole cut in it for the entry. The "tunnel" entry is made of 5 Gal. Plant buckets cut in half. The whole thing is wrapped in two layers of thick plastic with a layer of 3" insulation in between so water cannot get in from the bottom or top. The insulation is necessary because I cannot dig the burrow as deep as it should of the cold (and heat) here. It stays warm enough, cool enough and dry!

Then, covered with dirt, stones, boulders.... to make it look natural. I plant many edible plants in here enclosure, a drip line fills the water container when the yard is watered... and she is self sufficient.

All I have to do in enjoy her when she comes out and feed her a treat to two... - she comes running for Strawberries!

I'm sending pics of my indoor enclosure for my Baby Leopards, too. ...a repurposed Chinchilla cage - to keep the cats and dogs out! They live right next to a large window and Sam's home is visible outside.

frankie

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi! *waves* I agree, I really want to see the rest of your enclosure! :D How long have you had Sam?

Hello!

I have had Sam from a hatchling... for 13/ 15 years... I can't remember exactly. I have 22 pets and Sam is by far the most COOL!

frankie

5 Year Member
Irwin4530 said:
Laura said:
welcome!

I agree Laura!!
This looks like an AWSOME enclosure!!! :D:D

Hi,:)

I replied to laura post with more photos and info on the enclosure...

Status
Not open for further replies.