New Sri Lankans from Doug and Janie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast
Hello all!
First post so I thought I would introduce myself and post a pic of each of my new SLS that I just received from Janie and Doug (awesome people to deal with!).
I have been keeping and breeding turtles and tortoises for 11 years and in that time have been blessed with the good fortune to both work with and successfully reproduce Indian, Sri Lankin and Burmese Stars.
During an extended illness I was forced to part with my animals and once recovered started working with Heloderma and several other lizard species.
Recently I stumbled upon the ad for these little gems and knew I had to get back to my true passion so I scopped up 4 of these little ones and I must say, the thrill when I opened the package brought back a flood of fond memories.
They seem to have setled in quite well and hopefully are on their way to growing into healthy adults.
Anyways,
Glad to be here!
SriLankan01.jpg

SriLankan02.jpg

SriLankan03.jpg

SriLankan04.jpg

mlocke4548

5 Year Member
Douglas is a great person indeed. I have three Sri lankans from him and they are doing great, they love it in Hawaii.

Yours look very nice too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Lovethemtorts":

May we know your name? I'm so sorry that illness forced you to give up your animals, but its great news that you are slowly getting back into the hobby. Stars are beautiful tortoises...and thanks for sharing your pictures with us!

484805g84d720dfn.gif

to the forum!!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Welcome to the forum. Your pictures are just beautiful. I love the shell on the stars it's so round and the design is breathtaking. :)

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Very nice animals. Welcome to the forum and congrats on obtaining new animals.

Doug and Janie are very very nice people.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Thanks for the warm welcome and comments.
Sorry about not adding my name but I tend to often overlook the obvious lol. My name is Jackie Lapradd.

Regarding disposition,
The animals are a bit shy from moving and the new surroundings but that is to be expected. In general I have found Indians to be relatively shy but with time get used to their caretakers, SLS juveniles and adults are a bit more bold and the Burmese are very outgoing and have little fear even as youngsters.

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jackie, welcome to the forum.
Which Heloderma are you keeping now? I would like to hear more about it.

Scott

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Scott,
I'm currently working with Gilas only. I have several excellent and some unique bloodlines, with both Cinctum and Suspectum(although soon enough I imagine they will drop the Cinctum moniker after Becks' excellent work) represented.

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jackie,
What's the reason to drop the cinctum? Any link or research information you can direct me to?
I should not hijack your post, but would you mind post some pictures of different bloodlines in "other pet talk?" I don't have gila, but I would like to breed it in the future. Thanks!
Scott

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Scott,
Becks research has revealed no discernable difference between Cinctum and Suspectum other than outward appearance which can vary even within the same populations. It basically boils down to some animals having the classic banded pattern and some having a more reticulated pattern.
Beck suggests that there is no legitimate subspecies hence the probablity of simply Heloderma suspectum.
I'll post a few pics in the section you mentioned here shortly. Feel free to stop on over and we can talk Gilas.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Xn...nepage&q=Beck gila monster subspecies&f=false

A good place to start is page 27 which states there is no DNA evidence to support subspecies.

Here you go Scott.
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-10784.html

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Are you currently keeping any Burmese star?
Scott

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Scott,
While trying to get my health under control I had to get rid of the Burmese. It was heart breaking but had to be done out of necessity. I was very blessed with being able to work with them and have the success I did with producing hatchlings so I can't complain too much lol.
From several people I have spoken to some of the babies I produced are very near reproducing themselves so with a little luck I may be able to start working with them again.
If you have a chance to work with them I would highly suggest doing so as the animals are very personable, quite hardy and easy to breed with the proper care. Figuring out the best incubation technique was a matter of trial and error but if you find yourself in a position where you have eggs feel free to email and I'll share the technique that worked quite well for me.

samstar

5 Year Member
Congrats on the new SLS. They look beautiful, how big(how many inches) and old are they?

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
They are approximately 15 months old and range between 3-4 inches. I haven't put a tape on them yet since I want to keep stress to a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.