New shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaRT

5 Year Member
My RT, Stella, has lived outside now for about a month. We recently moved from Oklahoma to southern Alabama so obviously the humidity is higher. However it dews every morning and we get light summer showers so I'm not worried about her water intake. I'm just worried now that the humidity might be too high for her? I picked her up today and I feel like she has a few spots which look like shell rot and the rear end of her shell was almost translucent. I noticed this after giving her a soak. I took her to the vet last December and so I know the white old rot is ok, I'm wondering if the new stuff is indeed new rot? If so, any home remedies that have worked for anyone? The spots aren't soft or spongy. ImageUploadedByTortForum1378829478.867666.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378829489.450199.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378829499.207939.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378829508.950474.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378829519.033483.jpg

Now that I look back on old pics of her, I see the same spots. Ok so I will now amend my original question. Will the humidity down here harm her? Will it make her old spots worse? I just want what's best for my girl. Here are some pics of her back in Oklahoma. ImageUploadedByTortForum1378829794.000107.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378829816.300492.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378829865.500481.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Doesn't look like shell rot to me but I'm no expert. Just wanted to say I love the leopard print!!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I'm so glad your tortoise gets to spend so much time outside! It is SO good for her. :)
I see the spots that you are talking about, and I actually DO think that those are shell rot and would probably treat it, since it looks like it's active in the new growth. It looks like there is, indeed, old damage, but it might not quite have been stopped?
First, I don't think that higher humidity is causing this, however. We live in the humid Pacific Northwest, and the climate here is probably better for them than the really dry air in other parts of the US.

To treat the shell, I would do 2 things. First, swab the whole shell with diluted iodine tincture. Just do this once - it's potent stuff. You can get a little glass of it at Walgreens for $3 or so, you might have to ask the pharmacist, since at ours they have it behind the counter. Put a little bit of warm water (2 or so tablespoons) into a small containers, then add a little of the iodine tincture so it looks like weak tea. Then with a cotton swab, rub it onto the shell. Kind of let it drip into the cracks and especially on the areas with old rot, so it can seep into the little holes. Then let her air dry, and after maybe 30 minutes, rinse her off.
The second part of the treatment is to put human foot fungus cream on her shell once daily for about 2 weeks. Clotrimazole should be the active ingredient - again, Rite aid or Walgreens will have it. Just massage it into the shell, let it sit for a bit, then rub any excess off with a paper towel, and send her outside to play. :) This should take care of any active fungal rot (make sure to do this on the plastron, too).

Best of luck!

StellaRT

5 Year Member
That exactly is the answer I am looking for. Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.