New redfoot owner/rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
So today I was browsing Craigslist and I saw this redfoot for $100. I was curious and I called the guy.

When I spoke to the guy he told me that he was about 5 inch in length and was being kept at 30 gal tank. Right then n there I felt like something was wrong. I was able to convince him to drop the price to $50 and he agreed.

When I finally met up with the guy, I saw that he substrate was super dry! I mean you can pick up a chunk and it'll turn into dust! I mean poof! It was super dry! I gave the guy the money I didn't want anything to do with him! I was so upset!

Got him home and I did my check. Eyes was a little swollen, skin was super dry but the nose was dry. I did the soak right away and first thing that the lil guy did was dunk his head and drink. He was super dehydrated! He was so weak that he was having a hard time eating the red lettuce. He can't even bit a small chunk of the cactus!

Long story short, he was super neglected! I'm no expert but you can tell that this tort didn't get the attention he needed! Poop was all over the damn tank! Top of he substrate and under! He had no UVB light just a regular basking spot!

But anyways, I raise Ibera Greeks so i know some of the basics. Can somebody please give me some advise on their habitat/enclosure set up?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375775121.609862.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375775134.915989.jpg

Im not sure but this little guy looks like a cherry head. What do you guys think? Ill be posting more pictures soon! I'm so tired from the long drive so ill do it tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
It will need a humid enclosure with soaking/wadeing water feature. A humid hide (I suggest sphagnum moss). They are not big baskers but a basking area wouldn't hurt with most of enclosure lit with just ambient light. For food I suggest to start soft fruit such as melon, dark greens, and after it is eating vegies once a week a protein source. It is a cherryhead.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Check out tortoiselibrary.com, that is a lovely cherryhead that you saved!

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
a uvb/uvb lightspagnum moss in a humid hide. the substrate can be cypress mulch. spray everyday haf of the enclosure. for now you can keep him in a larger tub with everythinh in it. then i would build a closed chamber. also chek out tortoise library! good luck and post pics of it!

Michael in MO

5 Year Member

Im not sure but this little guy looks like a cherry head. What do you guys think? Ill be posting more pictures soon! I'm so tired from the long drive so ill do it tomorrow.
[/quote]

not sure of where in CA you're at or if the temps are appropriate but I'd plan on spending an hour or so a day letting the tort walk around outside perhaps in direct sunlight if not too hot probably needs to improve it's muscle tone, some UV rays and fresh air..

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I was fortunate enough to have most of the stuff that you guys mention! I was goin to do everything last night but I was just sooo tired! Here is the update on what I did ImageUploadedByTortForum1375810430.605558.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375810463.027815.jpg its a temporally until I build a new home for him. I'm using most and coco coir. Most for the higher humidity an coco coir for the slight less humid side. I'm placing the basing at the moss area but that would remain moist.

Well anyways. I did his soak this morning and notice he has shell rot! Pleas help! Would having high humidity impact this? ImageUploadedByTortForum1375810672.522515.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375810683.462501.jpg

This was the end result after using toothbrush to clean him off! ImageUploadedByTortForum1375811174.637124.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375811185.525669.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, that is some type of fungus going on...if you say that the enclosure was full of poo...then likely suspect....if you want to treat you can use the foot fungus cream---clean him up a couple times a day, allow the shell to dry some--apply the cream--let it dry up and soak in---then do this for about 7- 10 days (or less if the area affected begins to look good)....good save :D

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
ascott said:
Yes, that is some type of fungus going on...if you say that the enclosure was full of poo...then likely suspect....if you want to treat you can use the foot fungus cream---clean him up a couple times a day, allow the shell to dry some--apply the cream--let it dry up and soak in---then do this for about 7- 10 days (or less if the area affected begins to look good)....good save :D

Unfortunately it's more severe than that, I'm bringing her to a real tortoise rescue. I wanted to rescue her myself and give someone the opportunity in raising a wonderful tortoise but this is out of my reach. Yes I lost money. Yes I devoted my time but I don't care bout all that. I want this tort to survive and that was my goal. It sucks because I felt like I failed with my first rescue.

jnh42573

5 Year Member
That's a success story man! Good job :)

5 - Diamondback Terrapins
2 - Redfoot Tortoises
1 - Sulcata
2 - Golden Phase Hypo Translucent Albino Res
3 - Albino Res
2 - Mississippi Maps
1 - Southern Painted
1 - Clown Yellow Belly Slider
1 - Yellow Belly Slider
1 - Rio Grande Res
2 - Pastel Res
2 - Bearded Dragons
3 - Boston Terriers
900 gallons of water in my home and 400 gallons outside :)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
She got diagnosed w/ Septic... It sad because there are two kind of septic... lets hope she respond to the treatment... The rescue place i brought her to was so grateful for the things that im doing that they allowed me to rehabilitate one of their rescue for the time being! Wis hope luck guys! That's what i named her...

Status
Not open for further replies.