New Parents to 2 Desert Tortoise

ChrisPBacon

Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Hello everyone!
After much talking with the wife and kids, we decided to adopt a desert tortoise. I printed out an information packet and application form from the AZ Game and Fish department. Our plan was to spend the winter getting a home built for our tortoise and making sure we were completely informed on what we were getting ourselves in to. Well, of course plans never go as expected in our family. While asking a few friends and family what we should expect and some do's and dont's......I get a random phone call. A friend of a friend of a friend said he had 2 desert tortoise that he was looking for a good home for. 12 hours and $100 trip to Petsmart later, we brought them home!
I have already searched through the forum for information, and still plan on making them a fairly large home in the backyard. You guys have some impressive set ups that i may borrow some plans from.
BTW, we were told that they are female and are a little over 1 year old. I am thinking older because they are both larger than a softball. (honestly have no clue, just guessing on my part).
We have not picked out names yet, but "Mac" and "Cheese" or "Biscuits" and "Gravy" are the kids front runners. My kids sometimes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You'll need two of everything. They should not live as a pair. Groups of juveniles can sometimes work out, but not pairs. Here is why: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/

Their care is very similar to Russian tortoise care, so this should help:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Most of the care info you get for desert tortoises is wrong and will lead to dehydration, dehydration complications, and frequently a pre-mature death. They need much more hydration than what most care sheets call for, and even though they come from a "desert", babies still need some moderate humidity.

Please post pics, and questions are welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Chris!

At that age/size, there's no way to know for sure the gender of the tortoises. My GUESS would be male, though, as males are way more common that females.

Be vigilant about keeping them together as a pair. If you notice one is growing bigger than the other, that's a sign the smaller one is being told to get out of the territory, so he stays hidden more often and doesn't eat well. In that case you'll need to separate them.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! Sorry we have to break it to you about keeping them separate but in the wild you never find two tortoises together unless they are mating, fighting, or fighting over who gets to mate. :eek: