New indoor enclosures for Mowgli!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It won't be long and you'll need to build it bigger, it would have been nice if you could have left it the size the boards were. The bigger the better and easier to get temps and humidity correct, You should also cover most of it and get it more humid. Your little one has some pyramiding started and you will need to get more humidity to get it to start growing smooth. Please read Toms threads below for proper housing and humidity to grow a smooth and healthy sully.
It does look nice though and the plants will help. Cute sully too.

Mariah717

I'm planning on building a much bigger outdoor enclosure when she gets a little bigger and bringing her in during winter. Right now I take her outside as much as I can (Usually 3 times a week) so she can explore and get some real sun. Will something like plexi glass over the top work well to keep the humidity up?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I love the semi sunken flower pots, but in the past, I've had several baby torts flip over while trying to climb up the back of the pot. Keep an eye on him for a while and see if he is inclined to climb. you may need to add more soil to the rear of the pots to form a gradual hump.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I agree with the above, but this enclosure is very nice.
Plexiglass is great. Always moniter temps inside.
Nice. Sunshine rules!

Mariah717

I originally had the pots in the corners but moved them out because she was climbing between the pot and the wall. We hasn't tried to climb them where they are at right now though. Thanks for the suggestions guys!:)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Plexiglass over the whole thing? I think it could stop the UVB and heat from entering, like glass. I looks great, Mowgli is really cute :D

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Plexiglass over the whole thing? I think it could stop the UVB and heat from entering, like glass. I looks great, Mowgli is really cute :D

if you cut a whole in the plexi glass and wrap the edges of the hole in alluminum foil and set light on top it will work and still hold humidity without losing uvb

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
if you cut a whole in the plexi glass and wrap the edges of the hole in alluminum foil and set light on top it will work and still hold humidity without losing uvb
Just a little opening for the bulb, I meant :D I like the foil idea though...

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I love the semi sunken flower pots, but in the past, I've had several baby torts flip over while trying to climb up the back of the pot. Keep an eye on him for a while and see if he is inclined to climb. you may need to add more soil to the rear of the pots to form a gradual hump.
I agree here. I'm trying out a smooth plastic pot right now. Because it's so smooth they can't even grip on to climb. Better than the terra cotta.