New Hermann baby

Strecker25

Hey all, we are new owners of a baby Hermann and I have a few questions.

Hes about 6 weeks old and weighs 20.45g. He has been gaining steadily since he hatched at about 1g a week. He's about 2.5 inches long (approx)

He's only been home with us for 24 hours, so I know his appetite may take some time to come back as a result of the move.

He's in a 20G long aquarium, (30x12x12) heatpad on one side, heat lamp above on the same side, and temporarily a reptisun 5.0 26w CFL UVB bulb. We have damp paper towels down for now, and we were told by the reptile shop to hold off on bedding for a month or so.

My first question is on the UV bulb, I have the fluorescent tube socket for the tank, would it be better to buy a tube instead of the CFL? I figure the tube will fill the whole enclosure with UVB, whereas the CFL is more focused.

The tank is 12.75" high, just on the edge of a 5.0 bulbs effective range. Should we jump into the 10.0 ? I dont want to give him too much UVB, especially at a young age.

Thanks everyone, this is our first tortoise. I've had aquatic turtles for about 15 years and they've done well but I know a tortoise can be more difficult especially at this age.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

No, don't buy a CFL for UVB. It's exactly because they are more focused that they shouldn't be used on tortoises. They cause a painful eye condition similar to snow blindness in the tortoise.

Some of us use the mercury vapor bulbs (MVB) because they provide heat and UVB in the same fixture. But the tube type fluorescent bulbs are very good too.

Strecker25

I thought so about the tubes, so thank you for clarifying that. Should we remove the CFL until I get the tube? I dont want to damage his eyes but I'm not sure if the lesser of two evils is no UVB at all or the CFL for a couple days.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have three of the 5" tubes and I really like the light they put out. BUT - I also have three very shiny, chrome-looking reflectors behind the bulbs. Are you using reflectors? If so, then 12" may be good enough for your 5" bulbs. I had to raise two of mine up in the YF and the Manouria baby tables because the light was too bright for them, but in the leopard table 12" is great with the 5" tube.

A week or so without UVB isn't going to do any harm.

Strecker25

Yes, the reflectors are a shiny metal tape inside of the fixture. Not quite chrome, but they do a decent job. Sounds like the 5.0 is probably the safer bet for him being so small. Come spring and summertime he will get at least a couple hours a day of time outside (its still freezing in NY) so this is mainly to supplement UVB during the winter months.

thanks again! Im sure we'll have more questions over the week as he gets acclimated. I hope to see him resume eating within the next 48 hours, so I'll keep you posted on that.

tellablue

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hello! You should read the Hermann's tortoise care sheet posted by Hermannichris. Lots of good info.

Strecker25

I have read that a couple times actually, very good info.

He was nibbling at some lettuce this afternoon, so I think hes starting to get more comfortable in the environment.

Strecker25

He's now eating a ton. Goes right over to the romaine as soon as we add it to the tank.

I know aquariums are generally frowned upon, but do you guys think it's ok until he grows a bit? Its a 20G long, so its 30"x12". We have a zoomed heat pad on one end with his heat lamp and the UVB tube will soon extend the whole tank. Ambient is about 78*, basking area is high 90*s. Ive read very mixed reviews on the heat pads but they had him on one at the reptile shop and he seems to spend quite a bit of time basking on it.

Ultimately we'll build a nice table for him, I just want to take some time to work out the design to allow us to use our existing lights and fixtures.